That pesky cholesterol again!

MikeyU

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Cholesterol: Total 8 (!), HDL 2.57, LDL 5.16 and trigs 0.6.
My GP always tells me that it's not the absolute levels that are important but the ratios, i.e.
TC/HDL, LDL/HDL, HDL/LDL, TRI/HDL which should be <5.0, < 4.4, >0.22 and < 2.0 respectively. Yours are all in range (3.11, 2.01, 0.50, 0.23). Sure it'd be better to reduce the values for TC and LDL but I do not think they are alarmingly high considering your HDL and TRI levels...

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My GP always tells me that it's not the absolute levels that are important but the ratios, i.e.
TC/HDL, LDL/HDL, HDL/LDL, TRI/HDL which should be <5.0, < 4.4, >0.22 and < 2.0 respectively. Yours are all in range (3.11, 2.01, 0.50, 0.23). Sure it'd be better to reduce the values for TC and LDL but I do not think they are alarmingly high considering your HDL and TRI levels...
Thanks for working it out for me Mikey, much appreciated!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your replies everyone, they are much appreciated. It's weird in a way, as my glucose levels have come down my total cholesterol has rocketed, I am sure it is not because I have been eating more fat because I have kept to around 50 carbs and 'mid fat', ie the ONLY high fat stuff I eat is 30 to 50g of cheese most days (and lots of nuts), hence I think why the Dr told me to go low fat and cut both out (doesn't leave a lot to choose from). I tend to eat the nuts to keep my weight up. I know many thrive on the lchf diet but I will admit, with my cholesterol I am afraid to go for it!!! It sometimes seems that to get good numbers for one ailment you have to forgo good numbers for another!

Reactions: dbr10