The 10 year legacy

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All, I had my 6 monthly review today and my DSN mentioned what she called the '10 year legacy' meaning the first 10 years of diabetes are crucial and if managed well can extend your life. I suppose that's common sense but it struck me just how important it is to manage your diabetes properly in order to avoid complications, such as cardiovascular problems which I have experienced only recently (2 stents fitted) not because of diabetes as I had the heart condition long before and only had Type 1 for 5 years. But it did reinforce my determination to avoid further problems by managing it as best I can. Obviously with diabetes I am more at risk from further blockages in my coronary arteries, so intend to keep my BG as low as possible. My HbA1c today was 51 which was great news.

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
I was just a little surprised, though not entirely doubtful, that the first ten years were singled out as being crucial. I would of thought (so not in anyway accurate) that in a diabetics' life span, any 10 years would be important for longer life. I suppose if you get the first ten years right, then any ten years after that is easier. Only a thought. Glad to see you're happy with your HbA1c. I've just had the same result. GP happy, but suggested a lower target and certainly any higher and I'd be on additional medication (Metformin only at the moment).

Reactions: birchy66

slip

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Or is this a polite way of saying 'if you haven't got a handle on it after 10 years you've got no hope'?

Reactions: birchy66

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Most complications that start due to bad BG control take sometime before they become a real issue. Hence delaying when they start has great benifits.

Put it the other way, my BG in my 50s will have a lot more effect on my qualify of life in my 80s, then my BG control in my 80s does.

Reactions: rom35 and birchy66

birchy66

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was just a little surprised, though not entirely doubtful, that the first ten years were singled out as being crucial. I would of thought (so not in anyway accurate) that in a diabetics' life span, any 10 years would be important for longer life. I suppose if you get the first ten years right, then any ten years after that is easier. Only a thought. Glad to see you're happy with your HbA1c. I've just had the same result. GP happy, but suggested a lower target and certainly any higher and I'd be on additional medication (Metformin only at the moment).
Thanks for your comment. I think what my DSN meant was that the first 10 years if managed well provide a foundation on which to build, also if you've got it sorted after 10 years then hopefully you should continue the same way. Obviously in my case I got type 1 when I was 66 years old so perhaps have a better chance and shorter time in which to manage it well. I think your GP is looking for a lower HbA1C because you are type 2, and type 2's can generally achieve better results than most type 1's (I think).

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers
Or is this a polite way of saying 'if you haven't got a handle on it after 10 years you've got no hope'?

The only reason I didn't have a handle on my first ten years (1997 - 2007) is down to being told not to cut carbs, taking Metformin and dealing with the worst case of the runs (even MoviPrep is easier to deal with, for me anyway), taking Rosiglitazone which along with citilapram helped my weight escalate to 27st without eating more or exercising less, and just for good measure adversely affecting my liver function.

The good news is that the last 5 years, thanks to a change in diet not recommended by doctors (low carb) has had a much more beneficial affect. So, hopefully I'm now in with a chance. Even better news is that thanks to a greedy U.S. doctor hoping to cash in on my travel insurance I had so many heart tests I'm in the enviable position of knowing that my heart and tubes are in good order.

Reactions: slip