The Beginning of the End.....

elaine77

Well latest hba1c came back at 58 mmol and my readings are now nearly always between 10 and 20mmol with morning levels of 15mmol and the DSN reckons I'm "miles away" from needing insulin and hasn't even increased my metformin says she thinks it's due to stress! Theyv done a complete U-turn now and are trying to keep me off insulin, wonder why that is? Maybe there is some new research I've not yet read but my levels just don't seem acceptable to me...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Well my driving license is my livelihood so...tough question!

And yes I know it is the risk of going low not high but like I said, taking one injection on a nighttime before bed...not sure how that would cause hypos whilst driving through the day? Like Smidge said, you can have hypos with sulfonylureas so why do people taking those not have to renew their license every 3 years??? It is discrimination absolutely it is!

Diagnosed with GD in 2010, Completely disappeared postpartum. Re-diagnosed December 2012 with type 1.5 diabetes, age 26, BMI 22 currently controlled by only Metformin, 500mg twice a day.
Big hug!xx

daisy222

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Well latest hba1c came back at 58 mmol and my readings are now nearly always between 10 and 20mmol with morning levels of 15mmol and the DSN reckons I'm "miles away" from needing insulin and hasn't even increased my metformin says she thinks it's due to stress! Theyv done a complete U-turn now and are trying to keep me off insulin, wonder why that is? Maybe there is some new research I've not yet read but my levels just don't seem acceptable to me...

Hello Elaine,
I have Lada diabetes too. Misdiagnosed as type 2 at age of 32. Controlled with LCHF for 1.5 years. After my HBa1c risen from 6.7 to 10.2 within 6 months I pushed my GP for c- peptide and anti GAD test, results came positve and I was put on insulin straight away.
Before insulin my fasting bs wouldnt go under 10mmol, and after food was between 10 and 16.
In my opinion blood sugars between 10 and 20 would have to be corrected with insulin as they are very high.
I tried metformin for few weeks before my gad test but it didnt help at all.
I am on basal/bolus insulin since april and it is not so difficult to control my bs and also I can eat more freely too.
If your DSN is as unhelpfull as mine please do get second opinion from GP or ask to be referred to hospital diabetes clinic.Good luck x

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
you may not need insulin, but like daisy222, I think you need something to bring your BG down. quite a few try for less than these numbers
Blood glucose ranges for type 1,[ 1.5 ] diabetes (adults)
•Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
•2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Hi Elaine
Good to see you back on the forum.... I was wondering how you were getting on.
When I get to morning levels of 15 I will be insisting on insulin!!

Did you request, strongly, for insulin, or are you hesitating because of your C1 driving licence?

Are you still LcHf dieting? Can you reduce your carbs further?... I am down to around 40g carbs per day now, and it is very much keeping my sugar levels down.

If I were in your position with morning levels of 15, I would either reduce carbs further or book another appointment with my DSN and about a week beforehand stop low carbing and eat 'normal'.... I know if I were to eat a few 'normal' carbs my levels would rocket.... And then they would have to put me on insulin.... And I would just advise them that I am eating to 'normal' NHS carb guidelines.

Incidentally, my consultant said he thought I should be able to continue driving on my C1 licence, providing I have no hypos. He did not 100% convince me! and others have said I will loose it and have to reapply..... So not really clear (we purchased a 4.25ton motor home last year, 6 months before diagnosis!!).

On my last visit to the diabetic centre they were concerned about me going to Antigua for 10 days. The dr gave me an insulin pen to take with me, for emergency use. That was last April, I did not use it, and still have it. If I had had two morning readings of 12+ I would have used it.

Hope you can get it sorted soon.

Diagnosed T2 in sept 2013, BS levels 20+. BMI 22, age 58. Requested a GAD test in November, came back very high 2,000+, doc said I would be T1 very soon, but presently LADA, and managing to keep 99% of my BS readings one hour after meals under 7.8 without insulin or any medication.

elaine77

Hi all

I don't have a C1 license it's the whole having to reapply every 3 years that bothers me for my normal license because even if I did go onto insulin I know I would need just 1 injection a day before bed (the nurse had already told me this) and so it seems a ridiculous amount of hassle just for one injection. I was high fat low GI carb but now the low GI carbs are not helping keep my levels down like they were and to be honest I'm getting to the point now where I can't be bothered to restrict my diet so much when it's inevitable that I will need insulin sometime in the near future anyway.

If I was type 2 I would have no trouble with a hflc diet forever as it would mean no insulin but it seems just pointless now putting off the inevitable. As soon as my attitude has changed though my nurse's seems to have gone the other way and now she is adamant that insulin is a bad idea! Can't win.....
I also want to buy my house this year too and don't want the hassle of life insurance for a mortgage if I say I take insulin...it's so ridiculous because I don't think 1 injection a day can be classed as insulin dependent, I don't need insulin to stay alive right now it would just reduce my levels down...

Reactions: 3 people