The case for multivitamins.

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
I tried this about 10 years ago. WIth both a multivitamin and zinc I had frequent hypos. Vitamin c on its own does not affect my control, nor does folic acid. Type 1s using insulin should be very careful about zinc because it is a bonding agent used in the insulin.

iHs

I asked my D consultant just a few weeks ago now as to whether there was benefit to be gained from taking vitamin supplements from a diabetes point of view and the answer was - just take a general multi vitamin unless you have blood test to show a deficiancy.

Last year I had an in depth series of blood tests done to determine what my state of health was really like. I noticed the Vit D test and saw that my level last August was 87 so just as well that I didn't take any Vit D3 which I had bought thinking that I probably was deficiant.

This radio broadcast the other day on Radio 4 - Dr Mark Porter, Case Notes talks about the potential benefit of taking Vit D and must admit, it does throw a new light. Again though, people should get a blood test done first before they start taking it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b00s0djn

C

catherinecherub

My Dr. likened it to a top class orchestra. Always in harmony and no duff notes.
If you took a multi-vitamin then there would be no adverse effects but if you didn't have a blood test and decided to dose yourself up with specific vitamins and minerals in the hope to treat yourself for deficiencies that you may or may not have then the orchestra would really be in trouble and the sounds would be horrendous because you now have extra players who know nothing about music. Like the orchestra, your body would not be in harmony.
If you feel fit and healthy, nails, hair and skin are in good condition then why would you need extra vitamins that may do you harm? If you are feeling unwell then the place to sort you out is at the surgery. See your Dr. with any symptoms that you feel may be related to vitamin/mineral deficiencies.