The cost of Diabetes on the NHS

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Think we all pay with our NI contributions.

The NHS love to throw money away for some reason. I personally have my routine bloods duplicated at my clinic and local practice. I've told them twice that there is no need for this yet they say that they "prefer it this way".

Grant
Exactly, I told consultant I didn't want to waste anyone's money. He seemed to have forgotten that the NHS pays the costs of drugs, sometimes less the prescription cost paid by patient, although not for people with diabetes treated with medication.

MoonSpirit

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All medical patents should expire as normal at the correct time.
There should be no extensions of patent because they have upgraded the formula.
Fine they should be able to apply for a new patent for the new revised drug.
But under no circumstances should that stop others creating copies of the original formula that the patent expired on.

Brit90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
All medical patents should expire as normal at the correct time.
There should be no extensions of patent because they have upgraded the formula.
Fine they should be able to apply for a new patent for the new revised drug.
But under no circumstances should that stop others creating copies of the original formula that the patent expired on.
And once expired we should be able to supply it to people at probably 10% of the original cost.
Just look what these companies are doing - http://diatribe.org/unpacking-rising-cost-insulin-and-what-it-means-patients
And here http://www.mendosa.com/blog/?p=3529

videoman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The cost of developing new drug trials are very expensive as I have been on drug trials and which I got paid for. Secondly The meter produces bring out better meters and CGM and which I and others were given free (£160) and one sensor and then we had to buy our own,but at £60. I think not even the CGM did help.I will wait till it comes on the NHS, and stop or reduce the number of finger prick to only when I drive as to the DVLA rules