The Demon Drink!

ianmetaxa

Hello,
almost one year ago I was diagnosed with Type 2.

I live in Greece and their BG measure is different, but I was admitted to hospital with a UK 36 BG, (the Greek is 650, just divide by 18).

I was discharged from hospital requiring a nightly insulin injection of 16 points and a 10mg statin tablet, a morning tablet of Januvia and a 40mg blood pressure tab, I had to take a 850mg tab of Metformin after each of my 2 daily main meals.

One year later I only need to take the 2 Metformin tablets and my BG is down to a good average of 6. I have lost 5 stone in weight, (and, for clarity, I need to lose another 5 stone), which obviously contributes. I feel that I am lucky, as the only thing that pushes my BG really high now is white bread, most other things I can cope with.

But... I have a big question. How great a part can alcohol play in the management of diabetes: good or bad? I ask this because if I go out and drink, say one bottle of wine over a night out with food, (I don't eat huge amounts and not many carbs on nights out), the next morning my fasting blood is good at 5. But if I have a night off the booze, I can go to bed with a BG of 6 and I wake up with a BG of almost 7!

In my terms this is a big overnight jump, and for the rest of the day I am playing catch-up to get the BG down to 5. Given that alcohol and unmanaged diabetes can b***er up kidneys and liver, it's odd that my intake of alcohol seems to be beneficial, in terms of BG, for my diabetes.

I would be interested to hear anybody else's experience of how to manage diabetes with alcohol. I stress I only drink wine, not beer or strong spirits. I expect strong views on this, but I am really interested. Even my pharmacist said that white spirits, in moderation, are good for BG. :?

Thank you in advance for your responses - cheers Ian

anniep

sorry I don't know the answer to that one. I had heard people say that red wine is good for their BG, so I asked my doctor, who said no though it might not damage it. I don't know if that is correct or not and I haven't noticed it lower after drinking but it certainly doesn't raise it at all.

Doc did tell me to watch how much I drank, 2 glasses a day max and not every day, because as you said diabetes messes with you kidneys and you don't want alcohol damage as well.

StevieBoy

Dislikes
Rocket, Early mornings, DIY
Hi

My understanding is that alcohol is one of the few nice things that lowers BG levels, as it slows down the liver and hence slows the production of glucose. However, I also understand that alcohol can lower your BG too much and if you are on insulin it could cause a hypo.

I have also heard it said that a couple of heavy nights in a row and you will pay for it and your BG levels will suffer.

I personally was diagnosed 2 months ago and had my first drink since then at the wekend at a wedding. Was a bit more drunk than I planned to be but my BG levels were fine afterwards and the next day(relief). Hangover was less enjoyable though...........

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
Hi Ian, your liver controls the amount of glucose released into the blood at any time. Alcohol is a toxin and as such is broken down by the liver. While the liver is busy dealing with toxins (alcohol) it ceases its control of glucose so none is released into the blood, hence your lower morning readings after a bottle of Metaxa, sorry, wine :D

Whilst this may seem a good thing it can have a bad long term effect on your liver. A Catch 22 situation you could say.

A glass or two of red wine has been shown to have beneficial effects for diabetics but a bottle or two has been shown to have a bad effect for everyone.

Everything in moderation
cheers.gif

Dippy3103

I am a type two diet only and was told my safe weekly limits is the same as a non diabetic.
My GP said unwinding with the occasional glass of red is "no bad thing".
I find moderate amount of red lowers my bg. P

jaykay

:? This is all so counter-intuitive to me. All my life I have avoided diet drinks and alcohol, eaten low fat everything. Since being diagnosed, that's been totally reversed. I drink diet drinks when I need something sweet, alcohol when I can't get diet drinks in pubs ( why do they only do coke? I hates it! ) and exchanged low fat for low carbs. Colour me confused!! But I know it works, so I just keep telling my brain to shut up and do what I tell it :D

brill

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Country & Western!
Yes, I find a Gin and slimline nightcap reduces my morning BG result nicely! One word of warning though, as you live in Greece. My hubby bought me a bottle of ouzo (Pilavas, my favourite!) for my birthday and after a couple of those my BG was up to 9 the next day. Looked it up ( http://www.calorieking.com/foods/ is good for alcohol) and it is full of sugar! :x
Yamas!