The effects of good friends...

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I just visited a friend in Germany and had sort of pre-planned in my head that this is a holiday and I deserved a week of slightly more relaxed eating of German things.

But, we told my friend I'd be low-carbing where necessary. And she was a star and didn't bat an eyelid, and found me special bread and made me (and the rest of us, but especially me) a giant salad full of yummy ingredients when she was cooking pancakes. And (me not speaking German) found the things on the menus that were essentially meat/good veg only, including the most enormous leg of beef I'd ever seen. I still had (ahem) sweet treats, but she gave me (without asking) smaller bowls and spoons so I'd almost not notice the much, much smaller portions.

Most of all, we walked everywhere, all the time (which I know is my downfall at home).

Four days later, I come home and check my meter...and it's 5.5. I'm hardly ever in the 5s...!

Now to remember to walk or jog those 17,000+ steps a day...

Concordjan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not very good on computers!
What a very good friend you have. so many would not understand/bother.

archersuz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That's given me goosebumps! What a wonderful friend - make sure you hang on to her!

LouWilk059

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
dishonesty, people who throw garbage out on to the streets,
With numbers that good, you should visit her more often! Sweet of her to do that for you; she's definitely a keeper.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I need your freind to adopt me :)

The support we get from our family and freinds goes an awfully long way to making life a bit easier and more relaxed which is great for motivation and mental well being.

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.
I just visited a friend in Germany and had sort of pre-planned in my head that this is a holiday and I deserved a week of slightly more relaxed eating of German things.

But, we told my friend I'd be low-carbing where necessary. And she was a star and didn't bat an eyelid, and found me special bread and made me (and the rest of us, but especially me) a giant salad full of yummy ingredients when she was cooking pancakes. And (me not speaking German) found the things on the menus that were essentially meat/good veg only, including the most enormous leg of beef I'd ever seen. I still had (ahem) sweet treats, but she gave me (without asking) smaller bowls and spoons so I'd almost not notice the much, much smaller portions.

Most of all, we walked everywhere, all the time (which I know is my downfall at home).

Four days later, I come home and check my meter...and it's 5.5. I'm hardly ever in the 5s...!

Now to remember to walk or jog those 17,000+ steps a day...

I'm British but temporarily living in Germany (4.5 years so far). I'm type 2 and since I've been on Insulin (2 years) I've actively been seeking out products that are better for diabetics. I love bread of all sorts and colours, with seeds, without, with nuts, without, etc. and a while ago I discovered Eiweisbrot bread which has about 6g of carbs per slice. I also exercise a lot, walking up to 90 minutes a day and my weight has dropped and
EiweisBrot.jpg
my BG levels are nearly always in the 'fantastic' range.
I wish you all the best, I know the struggles of living in Germany where so many foods are fantastic but not good for diabetics.