The end of finger prick testing?

fred1234

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
That would be great. I am Type2 with other medical conditions. I test bout 6 times and my fingers get really sore and hard. Sounds too good to be true. Another project that we hear no more about maybe?

Reactions: 2 people

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
I wonder if this is related to the research survey another member was doing into non-invasive wearable testing gear that I recall responding to.

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Doesn't look very portable to me. Every month there appears to be a technological break-through........................

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Doesn't look very portable to me. Every month there appears to be a technological break-through........................
Trial devices proving a technology generally aren't. Once you've made it work, then you take the technology and make it portable.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That wouldn't fit into the pocket of my jeans, but maybe I'm just being picky. ;)

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Looks interesting, this one picky point has nothing to do with the technology.................. why of why are the finger tips being poked? Surely the side of finger is less painful.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Looks interesting, this one picky point has nothing to do with the technology.................. why of why are the finger tips being poked? Surely the side of finger is less painful.
In the video? Because the nurse doesn't know what she's doing per chance? ;)

What really annoys me about articles like this are the statements like:

"Non-invasive monitoring will be particularly valuable in young people with Type 1 diabetes."

"Within this group, those who are attempting very tight control such as young women going through pregnancy or people who are experiencing recurrent hypoglycaemia could find this technology very useful."

Errrr.... No... Anyone striving for tight control would benefit - stop assuming that most diabetics, especially Type 1s, don't give a hoot about their control you stupid Professor of Medicine. It's attitudes like this that make me cross as they reinforce the idea that you shouldn't have tight control. Idiot.

Reactions: 6 people

Wurst

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Narcissistic forum members
Trial devices proving a technology generally aren't. Once you've made it work, then you take the technology and make it portable.

I will believe it when I actually see it.... All these news flashes about improved diabetic management technology and so far I've seen nothing :-0

G

graj0

An engineering breakthrough could mean that diabetics will no longer need to draw blood to monitor their condition.
It looks wonderful, I hope they can get it to market in a suitably short time period.
I wonder if these guys realise that some GPs are recommending that some of their type II patients don't need to measure their BG.

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
All over the world, companies are working towards non-invasive blood testing, Glucowise, Glucotrack & Grove Instruments to name three... a few years ago the Libre was a twinkle in someone's eye.

There's a huge market out there for reliable, easy-to-use, non-invasive blood testing, so hopefully it shouldn't be too long.

I agree with Tim2000 that most diabetics, type one or two, dependent on the advice given to them strive for good control.

As an aside, an interview by Stephen Dixon on Sky News interesting from the point of view that Stephen is a type one diabetic & that when he mentioned the Libre to the professor, said prof didn't seem to know what he was on about.

As someone who has given up the Libre due to skin irritation problems, I can't wait for the net generation of testers....

Edit: Just to add the other side of the coin, Grove have filed for bankruptcy in the States...