The first Easter (or other seasonal food-related holidays) as a diabetic

B'sMum

So good to have this wonderful place to be with all of you! Excellent advice for many varied situations!!! I'm new so please bear with me - hope I am posting at correct place to reply.
Am also very interested in those following just not dietary, but how you are feeling right at time of testing, i.e. sad, anxious, etc. as I believe emotional state majorly affects my glucose. I was just diagnosed, too, Type 2, placed on metformin extended release. The diagnosis was based on bloodwork done at worst possible time - having just lost my mother, and was under extreme duress from another life situation. Should never have had the BMP done that week, but doctor was retiring and thought I'd get everything completed. Now everything being based on that horrid result. Have lost eleven pounds having just eliminated regular Coca-Cola, and few others. Bless you all. This site and forum are like a miracle find for me to help me get through.
I was only diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic last week, so I knew Easter would be rough, LOL. I am being especially strict because I want to keep my BG as good as possible for my appointment with my GP on Tuesday.

It's Thursday morning here in Australia and management have laid out the usual Easter morning tea of warmed hot cross buns (both fruit and chocolate varieties!) and butter, as well as a couple of giant novelty chocolate bunnies for anyone to break a piece off if they want. Literally the only two people in the office who aren't party who aren't partaking are me and the very skinny lady who runs marathons and eats a salad for lunch every day. Someone came to my desk with a bun (they thought I was too busy to come to the table) and I politely refused, and they pressed again, and I refused again.

I'm meeting friends for drinks on Saturday night and I know what zero sugar alcoholic drinks I can have, and am banking some calories so I can imbibe (responsibly obviously!) and not feel totally deprived. Easter Sunday lunch with the family is going to be rough, when I get pressured to eat potato gratin, bread, hot cross buns, chocolate, I might say I've had an upset tummy and don't want to eat much.

So I guess this is a solidarity/sharing thread for any new diabetics who need a space to vent and LOL in, and hopefully not succumb to temptation on this very carby holiday. :)

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So good to have this wonderful place to be with all of you! Excellent advice for many varied situations!!! I'm new so please bear with me - hope I am posting at correct place to reply.
Am also very interested in those following just not dietary, but how you are feeling right at time of testing, i.e. sad, anxious, etc. as I believe emotional state majorly affects my glucose. I was just diagnosed, too, Type 2, placed on metformin extended release. The diagnosis was based on bloodwork done at worst possible time - having just lost my mother, and was under extreme duress from another life situation. Should never have had the BMP done that week, but doctor was retiring and thought I'd get everything completed. Now everything being based on that horrid result. Have lost eleven pounds having just eliminated regular Coca-Cola, and few others. Bless you all. This site and forum are like a miracle find for me to help me get through.

B'sMum, if your result was borderline, it would be usual to do a follow up test a month or so later to validate the initial finding. If the result weas well above the threshold, it would indicate your bllod sugars had been running rich for a while, so is likely valid, even if it feels so unfair.

I wouldn't get cross about the timing. In this day and age, so much is becoming known about diabetes, and even the wider world is getting used to the concept of T2 being a condition that can be reversed or put into remission.

Many, many folks have found a few weeks after making sme adjustmnents to their diet that they feel better than for some time and many trim up too, which can be advatageous, if required.

Please don't get into a blame or guilt game, but focus that effort and energy on finding the positive ways forward for you. It will likely involve some changes, but they become almost second nature in time.

GFood luck with it all.

Traceymac23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Moaner
I agree.......stress is a major factor on BG readings

Reactions: zauberflote

Gran25

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Re. then holidays and other temptations... my strategy is to become a snob about food and only allow myself the best when temped to indulge... sort of along the lines of "life is too short for bad wine" just substitute chocolate/bread etc into that equation. It seems to be working for me.

Reactions: Flora123