The first hypo is always the worst...

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I remember well, my first hypo. It happened in December 2005, during my second week in hospital after diagnosis. It hit in the afternoon, a horrible sensation of extreme weakness, violent tremors and severe confusion. To me it felt like the ultimate panic attack (which I assumed it was!) so I called the nurse.

By the time she arrived, I could sit up unassisted, nor could I speak without slurring. I remember someone handing me a fruitjuice pack and I devoured it! While this was going on, another nurse did a glucose test, 2.1! I'd had no experience with hypos, so I was in a state of terror until I could make sense of my surroundings.

I have lived through some mindbending hypos since - but with experience and planning I can deal with it myself. All I need is someone to stay with me until I regain my composure. I sympathise with everyone new to insulin therapy.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My first hypo certainly wasn't my worst. I suppose that was because I expected to start going hypo, after a junior doctor didn't believe a word I said and changed my insulin regime, mixing two insulins, and more or less doubling my total daily dose. I hypoed morning, noon and night and, very foolishly, continued to follow the doctor's instructions and didn't change the doses he had insisted I take, till I went back to the clinic a month later.

My worst hypo was when I was in hospital after the birth of my daughter. I woke up two mornings after the birth and sat up with a start. I remember the girl across from me asking if I was ok but I just fell back onto the pillow. The next thing I knew was two nurses holding me down while a doctor attached a drip to my arm. I remember seeing the dark shadows under the doctor's eyes, and wondering how she could work when she was so tired.

Another nurse arrived and said she was taking baby away to feed her. I said "No!!!!" but couldn't manage to say anything else. I couldn't explain there were allergies in the family so I didn't want baby to get formula milk. I woke up hours later. No one explained what had happened. I had to figure out for myself, that I was being held down by the nurses because I must have been struggling when the doctor was trying to attach the drip. I presumed this because of the huge blood stain where my left arm had been.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
First hypo was induced by the Dr's, I was a in hospital following my diagnosis and wasn't allowed home until I'd experienced one, wouldn't say it was the worst but it's one that I remember the most.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't get them often (fingers crossed) but had more going onto LCHF. They can be very scary. Fortunately I have always managed myself before t gets too bad but it's the indecision I can't stand. Do I go upstairs for my hypo wallet or downstairs for something to eat!

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I have had 4 hypos. At the time, I thought that was the worst.
That was purely because I didn't, t know what it was nor what to expect.
The following 3 hypos like the first, now I know we're all roughly the same but the following ones, I knew what they were

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
I remember mine too - I thought I was going to die. I was in the local swimming pool - I'd been swimming for about an hour then got half way along the pool and realised I felt exactly like you described in your first post - I really thought I was going to drown as I had NO energy at all. I don't know how I got out of the pool but the next thing I remember I was grabbing my purse from my locker and running (while crying) to the vending machine in the reception area - and there I bought and ate piece of very sugary flapjack - and then another - and then another. When I turned around the reception was full of people just staring at me.

I didn't know what was happening to me - I just knew I needed sugar which was very unlike me in those days when I was super fit. And that was the last time I went swimming.

Sharon14448

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Will not forget my first. We were at the crematorium scattering my Dad's ashes after a service.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
When I was discharged from the hospital 28 years ago and stayed with my sister an extra week. We went walking about in her town looking around and then I felt very peculiar and ill, she phoned her GP and he said to reduce my Insulin by 2 units. It's all coming back to me now.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
When I turned around the reception was full of people just staring at me
Well it's not often they would see a naked person in reception.:)

My first was not all that memorable just woke up early feeling terrible with very low BG.

My last and I hope it is the last however left me lying on the bedroom floor with a gash in my head as I had hit it on the way down. I had woken in the night tried to get to the bathroom and just went down loosing control of certain bodily functions and becoming unresponsive took family quite a while to get me off the floor and help clean me up while dosing me with sugary drink. Very embarrassing.

johnpol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
My worst hypo happened after they had changed my insulins, one was beginning to work as the old type was still active, cant remember a lot, just remember a lot of people being around me looking worried!!! have never felt as bad since. I have experienced quite a few over the last twenty three years (mostly due to my hobbies) never a pleasant experience! some peoples comments after I have had a Hypo don't help either as they take me a long time to recover from now. old age I guess lol!!!