The killer disease

catsbd

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Makes me mad, also upsets me. On tv programme tonight the presenter said
".......can help you from getting a killer disease like diabetes........."
I've got a killer disease have I? Makes you feel good to hear that yes? No.
I consider myself to have a health condition that requires diet and medication (insulin). That I need to look after my health perhaps a little more closely than other people. I'm going to live a long and healthy life. And I'm going todeal with health issues (if they occur)as anyone anyone would

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hornplayer

Again, the media going for sensationalism over accuracy. I know how you feel.

I do wonder sometimes if I'm in denial, but I feel that this is something to manage and live with, not run, weeping to hide in the corner.

When you hear the media spouting ****, sometimes you have to remind yourself that they know nothing, and move on.

louby

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice to hear someone talking positively about their condition, and about how it is just a condition, not a killer disease. My 19 year old son has just been diagnosed with type 1, just 5 days ago , we really dont want to be hearing the phrase "killer disease" associated with diabetes. A shame they do not investigate this condition before they are so loose with their words.

hornplayer

Exactly. My friends 11yr old was diagnosed at the end of August. He's adapting really well and has really got into ferreting out carb free foods. I hate to think that he could hear that sort of ridiculous statement and take it to heart.

The press really do need to take more responsibility for the stuff they write, instead of just flinging mud around to see what sticks.

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Just to be devils adovocate, I would like to point out diabeties does and can still kill - we on here are preaching to the choir but there are many others dieing prematurely for no good reason.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
catsbd said:
Makes me mad, also upsets me. On tv programme tonight the presenter said
".......can help you from getting a killer disease like diabetes........."
I've got a killer disease have I? Makes you feel good to hear that yes? No.
I consider myself to have a health condition that requires diet and medication (insulin). That I need to look after my health perhaps a little more closely than other people. I'm going to live a long and healthy life. And I'm going todeal with health issues (if they occur)as anyone anyone would

I do see your point about what the presenter said catsbd, but in truth uncontrolled diabetes is life-threatening. Like yourself I just consider myself to have a health condition that requires me to take medication and I intend to live a long and happy life, diabetes is a hindrance but it doesn't define who we are!

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It can and does claim lives but it is not technically a disease. I guess "chronic condition" isn't as punchy or attention grabbing. Calling it a "killer disease" is sensationalist, inaccurate and more than a little scary