the more Metformin the less B12 uptake ..!!!

A

Avocado Sevenfold

To be fair, B12 is mentioned on the leaflet inside the box. It's not a secret.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to say that the diabetic nurse did mention this when I was prescribed metformin and said I should also read the leaflet and go back if I thought I had any of the side effects, but she also said they would test me later on as well. Given I'm on a relatively low dose of the stuff I cant say if this drug would cause B12 deficiency in me, however after a month I started taking a supplement every day just to make sure there were no problems.

So I've been taking B12 since November and 2 weeks ago after my latest round of blood tests I saw the Doc on another matter and he asked what vitamin supplements I was taking, so I said just multivitamins and he said 'not extra B12 then'? to which I said I was. He then showed my the levels on the computer and the B12 was like nearly off the chart and way too high. Needless to say he told me to stop taking it because I did not need it. I explained why I was taking it and he said I was wasting my money and any deficiency would be picked up in my routine tests anyway.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Many things are picked up in routine tests not all are acted on.

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
"
Although vitamin B-12 is generally considered to be safe, and no "Upper Tolerable Intake Level" has been established, there are some reports of doses of 20 mcg per day or higher causing outbreaks of acne and rosacea. There is also a study which showed that a high-dose B complex supplement (with 1,000 mcg of B-12) hurt, rather than helped, people with type 1 or type 2 diabetes and advanced kidney disease, resulting in a worsening of kidney function and an increase in the risk of heart attack, stroke and death. "

http://www.consumerlab.com/answers/...tains+50,000%+the+Daily+Value!+/too_much_b12/