The "Off food and struggling" thread!.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
So, here we are once more, in the playground of the broken hearted...or something..

Thursday last week was an important day. Basically I was told that I was starting to look very unwell (not my opinion) and that enough was enough with weight loss.

Saw Doctor this morning. She agreed that I had taken my weight loss far enough, I was now within the "healthy" range in terms of BMI and weight/height.
Had a long chat about food and my weekend intake of : Saturday -nothing until forced to eat some Chinese by partner and Sunday : 6 Strawberries, quarter of a single chop and 6 pieces of Broccoli plus the fact that I am sitting here at work having had no breakfast and with no lunch as, yep, I am completely off food.

I have looked at websites, watched YouTube videos and recipes but nothing, nothing at all..

Talked about Autism and restricted diets for sensory reasons; talked about taking things too far and being on the slippery slop downhill; talked about a less restrictive diet but how that may send me back to over-eating the wrong things as we get very driven and focussed on things.

Talked about my operation date (5th April) and how everything was focussed on being good for that; talked about another HbA1c test next week (Day before Pre-op) to check I wasn't sinking down too far as to send out alarm bells and talked about how nothing I am shown in supermarkets or shops excites my taste buds and actually makes me want to eat; talked about my anxiety disorder, dysthymia and how being Autistic doesn't help me in situations like this..at least not me being Autistic.

So, formal referral to dietician, more tests but no resolution to the immediate problem of the simple fact that I cannot face food and I feel ....disillusioned.

I don't feel unwell although I know clothes aren't fitting, I just feel more down than usual ..and getting a little scared about the fact I seem to be stuck in a situation, through circumstances not entirely of my own making, that I cant see a way out of.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So, here we are once more, in the playground of the broken hearted...or something..

Thursday last week was an important day. Basically I was told that I was starting to look very unwell (not my opinion) and that enough was enough with weight loss.

Saw Doctor this morning. She agreed that I had taken my weight loss far enough, I was now within the "healthy" range in terms of BMI and weight/height.
Had a long chat about food and my weekend intake of : Saturday -nothing until forced to eat some Chinese by partner and Sunday : 6 Strawberries, quarter of a single chop and 6 pieces of Broccoli plus the fact that I am sitting here at work having had no breakfast and with no lunch as, yep, I am completely off food.

I have looked at websites, watched YouTube videos and recipes but nothing, nothing at all..

Talked about Autism and restricted diets for sensory reasons; talked about taking things too far and being on the slippery slop downhill; talked about a less restrictive diet but how that may send me back to over-eating the wrong things as we get very driven and focussed on things.

Talked about my operation date (5th April) and how everything was focussed on being good for that; talked about another HbA1c test next week (Day before Pre-op) to check I wasn't sinking down too far as to send out alarm bells and talked about how nothing I am shown in supermarkets or shops excites my taste buds and actually makes me want to eat; talked about my anxiety disorder, dysthymia and how being Autistic doesn't help me in situations like this..at least not me being Autistic.

So, formal referral to dietician, more tests but no resolution to the immediate problem of the simple fact that I cannot face food and I feel ....disillusioned.

I don't feel unwell although I know clothes aren't fitting, I just feel more down than usual ..and getting a little scared about the fact I seem to be stuck in a situation, through circumstances not entirely of my own making, that I cant see a way out of.

Patrick it's good that you ave had a fulsome chat with your GP, and she's in the loop for you now.

My only comment to you would be for you to work towards your pre-op and get that out of the way before changing anything much. The absolutely last thing you need is that op deferred again.

That you describe your weight as being within the healthy range is good, as it seems that thankfully you are not medically underweight. Of course, something has to be tweaked for the longer term, but heck; get the op out of the way and get to your recovery.

Last edited:

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Patrick it's good that. You ave had a fulsome chat with your GP, and she's in the loop for you now.

My. Only comment to you would be for you to work towards your pre-op and get that out of the way before changing nothing much. The absolutely last thing you need is that op deferred again.

That you describe your weight as being within the healthy range is good, as it seems that thankfully you are not medically underweight. Of course, something has to be tweaked for the longer term, but heck; get the op out of the way and get to your recovery.
Well that's part of the fear, Op deferred again for any reason (perhaps nothing I can control) and the continued struggles with food as I continue to drop weight.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Patrick66 could Metformin be a cause of your lack of appetite? Did your GP mention this? My brother was on Metformin for years, along with other Type 2 tablets. He was recently rediagnosed as Type 1.5 and came off tablets when he started injecting insulin. His appetite is much better now and everything tastes much nicer.

Perhaps you could ask to try a different medication.

Reactions: Patrick66

welovedzig

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Not much solace to you but I think EVERYONE feels down sometimes xx:sorry:

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
@Patrick66 could Metformin be a cause of your lack of appetite? Did your GP mention this? My brother was on Metformin for years, along with other Type 2 tablets. He was recently rediagnosed as Type 1.5 and came off tablets when he started injecting insulin. His appetite is much better now and everything tastes much nicer.

Perhaps you could ask to try a different medication.
I doubt it.

I’ve been on Metformin for a few years but I’ve never had to go on such a restrictive diet before. I started with a narrow range of foods and it’s got narrower so I think that’s really not helped.
And then I’ve become scared of eating anything that might upset the balance.
I was on Gliclazide for a short while but had horrendous side effects.

Reactions: ziggy_w

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not much solace to you but I think EVERYONE feels down sometimes xx:sorry:
I agree..

I know people do but my combination of mental issues just ....don’t help.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Patrick, this is going to sound harsh, but if there is a risk of the operation being cancelled due to your continuing weight loss, you simply have to eat. Whether you fancy it or not.
At the moment it is your job to make sure you are fit enough to have the operation, whatever it takes.
Just to let you know, I have been there, trying to eat when it simply didn't appeal. I was borderline anorexia, weight down to six stone, when the alarm bells went off.
The first morning made toast. It took me an hour and a half to eat one slice. I so didn't want it. But I knew I needed the food.
So, wishing you well and hoping you be strong enough to find a way through this.
With Best Wishes Liz

Reactions: Flora123

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Have just had lunch, some homemade coleslaw, and half a can of tuna. However that does not make enough calories, so, although am feeling full, have to eat more... story of my life at the moment.

Had a handful of brazil nuts. Then slice of burgen bread toast with last of the cream cheese topped with a bit of chutney to give some flavour.

edited for update

Last edited:

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Patrick, this is going to sound harsh, but if there is a risk of the operation being cancelled due to your continuing weight loss, you simply have to eat. Whether you fancy it or not.
At the moment it is your job to make sure you are fit enough to have the operation, whatever it takes.
Just to let you know, I have been there, trying to eat when it simply didn't appeal. I was borderline anorexia, weight down to six stone, when the alarm bells went off.
The first morning made toast. It took me an hour and a half to eat one slice. I so didn't want it. But I knew I needed the food.
So, wishing you well and hoping you be strong enough to find a way through this.
With Best Wishes Liz
Thank you but I am okay.

I do know what you mean but balancing my weight so it moves up and down within a reasonable range is exceedingly hard as my doctor acknowledges. Its either feast or famine, literally. Or so it appears.
When you start from a smaller range of food you can cope with than others and that range shrinks as you cut stuff out then its harder and harder to find something to eat. My doctor told me to have the occasional apple Danish if that's what would wet my appetite but my fear is that if I eat one I will eat two, then three etc.
I am just bored with food. Bored with the range of available food and tired of reading recipes that don't appeal to me or simply are too complex.

But I'll survive. Maybe.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Have just had lunch, some homemade coleslaw, and half a can of tuna. However that does not make enough calories, so, although am feeling full, have to eat more... story of my life at the moment.
I have had three pieces of diabetic brownie (cooked by a work colleague), a satsuma, a dozen raspberries and a packet of pork scratchings.
No idea what tonight will bring but hey, I may just have fish and chips and be a bit naughty....for once.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Buy yourself one apple danish.

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I have had three pieces of diabetic brownie (cooked by a work colleague), a satsuma, a dozen raspberries and a packet of pork scratchings.
No idea what tonight will bring but hey, I may just have fish and chips and be a bit naughty....for once.
well thats a varied diet :playful:

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think we do need to enjoy food even though first and foremost it is a nutritional requirement. If one cannot enjoy food then that ain’t good. I am trying to find a path through all of the conflicting constraints and conflicting advice under conflicting conditions and it ain’t easy. Thankfully I am still managing to find food that I can enjoy.

Maybe sometime in the future though it will be a tablet from a machine that satisfies each and every dietary need. :D

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The risk is too great...
ok
you know yourself best.
i took a risk and bought chocolate few days ago, then ended up eating the whole bar:greedy:, usually i can stop at three squares.

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
ok
you know yourself best.
i took a risk and bought chocolate few days ago, then ended up eating the whole bar:greedy:, usually i can stop at three squares.
I think fish and chips will be carby enough for me...and provide a calorie boost...

Reactions: Listlad

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Hope you enjoyed it :joyful:
Oddly enough...not really.

I think my stomach had been weaned off carbs so it came as a culture shock to it. Made sure I jogged afterwards to dilute the carb effect.