The pump users' handbook (giggles)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I LOVE second-hand bookshops! How could I not buy this?!

:happy::happy::happy:

image.jpeg

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Nice find!

"Herbert Addison"

Every male inventor should be called "Herbert" (just as every mechanic should be called "Dave").

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
LOL, absolutely, Sock!

The 'Diagnosing Pump Troubles' is a gem of a chapter.

If your reciprocating pump delivers insufficient liquid, this may be due to leaky joints in suction pipe, leaky glands, liquid in suction well too low, snifting valve left open.....

And I hope my pump never suffers 'cavitation'. Sounds ouchy............

:)

Reactions: Juicyj

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Snapsy. Great find and as you are already finding out an amazing source of information.
It actually brought back memories of the Two Ronnies "4 candles sketch ".
Ronnie Barker asks for pumps and the rest is part of our national history.

P.S. Can I have 1st borrow when you've read it? ;);)

Reactions: Snapsy

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I couldn't believe it when I saw it in the window of the shop, @therower !

Bit concerned that I can't identify the snifting valve on my Insight..... should I worry, d'you think?

:wideyed:

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Snapsy. OMG you really need to know where your snifting valve is located. If it ever gets blocked then you'll be really in the...................... well just let's say it's not going to be pleasant.:)
Please don't post anymore or you'll give too much of the plot away.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's part of a STEAM PUMP - yaaaaaaaaaaaay!

Thanks for the link, @Tipetoo !

:happy::happy::happy:
The mind boggles! I think this thread has now actually entered the awesome fantasy realms of diabetic steam PUNK gadgetry.

But I couldn't imagine ever daring to wear a steam driven insulin pump with a snifter valve in polite company - there'd probably be too many suspicious and surreptitious glares and even sniffs around me every time it snifted. :wideyed:

Robbity

(With thanks to everyone for a much needed laugh tonight!)

D

Deleted member 308541

But I couldn't imagine ever daring to wear a steam driven insulin pump with a snifter valve in polite company - there'd probably be too many suspicious and surreptitious glares and even sniffs around me every time it snifted. :wideyed:
Especially if it cavitated at the same time, you might get thrown out at as well. :D

tigger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
registrars asking silly questions
What year is it? Can you send me photos of the correction rates, carb ratios and basals rates? I strongly suspect this is based on animal insulin which I use and would be interested to see how my worked out rates compare.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What year is it? Can you send me photos of the correction rates, carb ratios and basals rates? I strongly suspect this is based on animal insulin which I use and would be interested to see how my worked out rates compare.
Hi @tigger ,

1958, in answer to your question - but sadly it's literally just about pumps in general, not specifically insulin pumps. It was sponsored by members of the British Pump Manufacturers' Association and - shockingly, in my opinion - 'Its purpose is to offer aid and guidance to owners and users of pumping plant, and especially to the men (my own italics) in control of this plant, those who choose it, install it and develop a sympathetic insight into its operation.'

I bought it as a curio, really. Nothing to do with insulin at all - I'm really sorry for any confusion.

:sorry:

Reactions: tigger
D

Deleted member 308541

I bought it as a curio, really. Nothing to do with insulin at all - I'm really sorry for any confusion.
@Snapsy I would have thought @tigger would have realised this when I posted the Wiki article about "snifter valves".

Diakat

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
The smell of cigars
Actually, my work library would probably love it! We had a whole discussion about steam shovels yesterday...