The right head space

jenquinn

Dislikes
Drama queens and liars
Will start with hello, and this is my first post (other than my intro of course), so I hope I am not just repeating something someone else has done.

I am newly diagnosed T2, and looking to control my weight ( I need to lose about 20kgs) i was 4 x gestational diabetic (yep I am female lol), and trying to get some knowledge. I have tried to look at my weight gain pragmatically, so when I say some things in here, I do see those statements for what they are - I am not an alcoholic saying that I drink because I like the taste, I am not "in denial" so here goes.

I eat quite well, low fat, the best cuts of meat, low salt, lots of vegetables and fruit, a wide range of colourful foods.I didn't watch my carbs, and definitely overate my carbs. I do eat out several times a week, but it's more likely to be a pub dinner or a cafe rather than McDonalds or fish and chips. So on the surface of it, I wondered why I was putting on weight for the longest time (so I was in denial for a while...) but here's the rub: if it tastes nice, I want it all. As much as I can get anyway, and it doesn't matter that I had a big breakfast, or I am on the way to a big dinner, I just cram the nice stuff... and there is quite a lot of it.

So why do I have this need to grab whenever I can? It's like some primal survival instinct - but obviously not. Why do I need to feel so full I feel sick? I mean that negates the good feeling you begin with when scarfing down all that nice food! This one tiny point is the pivotal point for my weight loss, because I wouldn't binge if I could get to the mental place where I didn't think that I needed ALL that nice food! (just reread that, I don't feel I NEED the food, I eat it because I can).

So there is my conundrum.

I can see it for what it is, but what to do next?

Dark Horse

Some lucky people are "internally cued" to eat. In other words, they only started eating when their body tells them they are hungry and they stop eating when their body tells them they are not hungry. Some of us, however, are "externally cued" to eat. If it's there, we eat it, whether we're hungry or not. And we NEVER stop eating before we've cleared our plate.

The only thing to do is be cunning. Avoid the sight of food. Do not keep large amounts of food in the cupboard or the fridge. (You may need to shop on a full stomach to reduce over-buying, and only buy what was on your shopping list - no impulse buys.) Keep the door to the kitchen SHUT and only go in there when absolutely necessary. Persuade work colleagues to put all the "goodies" they bring in a drawer or cupboard so it doesn't "call" to you as you walk by. Cut down on eating out - portion sizes are always too big. If you have to eat out, ask for a child's portion or share one meal between two.

Out of sight, out of mind.