The risk of COVID for type 1 or type 2

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly for them, Type 1 diabetics tend to get the diabetes in childhood, which gives the illness far more time to damage their bodies.

Not entirely true actually. That is what they used to think and yes, the majority of type 1s may get it when they are children but a large percentage also get it as adults.

Last edited:
Reactions: VashtiB

becca59

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sadly for them, Type 1 diabetics tend to get the diabetes in childhood, which gives the illness far more time to damage their bodies.

Old fashioned thinking I’m afraid. Many many Type 1s get it when older, myself and lots of people on this forum included.

billysmit555

1. The risk of COVID for type 1 or type 2 varies from patient to patient. Governments, scientist, and research organizations from across the globe are continuously working on finding facts, risks, and treatment on COVID-19. It is still unclear whether people who are taking diabetes treatment are more likely to catch coronavirus. At the same time data also shows that once in a hospital with COVID-19, people with diabetes have worse outcomes than people without. If data is to be believed, people with type 1 diabetes are approximately 3.5 times higher in comparison to type 2. The only thing that you can do to avoid the risk of COVID is to follow the issued guidelines by WHO, take your medicines on time, intake of recommended diet, and a regular exercise.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
  1. The risk of COVID for type 1 or type 2 varies from patient to patient. Governments, scientist, and research organizations from across the globe are continuously working on finding facts, risks, and treatment on COVID-19. It is still unclear whether people who are taking diabetes treatment are more likely to catch coronavirus. At the same time data also shows that once in a hospital with COVID-19, people with diabetes have worse outcomes than people without. If data is to be believed, people with type 1 diabetes are approximately 3.5 times higher in comparison to type 2. The only thing that you can do to avoid the risk of COVID is to follow the issued guidelines by WHO, take your medicines on time, intake of recommended diet, and a regular exercise.

Hi Billy - Welcome to the forum.

It looks like your post is part of a larger document perhaps? In those situations it is very helpful to include the source of the information, so that others can read more widely in the document. :)

Jamie H

The big caveat in all of this - what is the baseline risk to begin with? 3.5 times a low risk is still a low risk. Similarly 3.5 times and already high risk may warrant shielding advice. It varies a lot dependant on each person.

As I always say, this is risk not outcome and we have all heard stories of seemingly very young and fit people becoming extremely ill with covid. But the risk is all we can use to formulate daily decisions and it varies a lot across the diabetes family.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Children and adults get diagnosed with type 1( I was 31) and many live with it for decades and decades. If we can keep good diabetes management, stay fit and healthy, we can hope for many more decades to come.

billysmit555

Hi Billy - Welcome to the forum.

It looks like your post is part of a larger document perhaps? In those situations it is very helpful to include the source of the information, so that others can read more widely in the document. :)
Okay, but forum is not accepting links here. How can I share the source?