1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

The SCREAM thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Robinredbreast, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Mrsmac247

Mrsmac247 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I just want to scream as loud as I can. I've tried my best you be positive since being diagnosed 4 weeks ago but today my husband told me that my 'get up and go has got up and gone'.

I used to be spontaneous and find various little trips and outings like shopping, car boot, home improvement trips etc but...I just don't have the energy anymore. I can't believe the difference 4 weeks have made to my life.

Right now I just want to have some ice cream with my kids on this bank holiday weekend. So fed up of this way of eating, never no energy and an alien in my own family, my kids dying understand why I can't have the **** ice cream

• Like Like x 5
  2. Nuthead

Nuthead Type 2 · Well-Known Member

It does get better. What is going on between your ears is probably the most important thing to sort out then the diabetes get so much easier. Been there done that.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

Its a big lifestyle change..... whilst many may shoot me down in flames I would say as long as you keep an eye on your bs then have your ice cream.... I don't do very low carb, I eat to my meter so when I really fancy something I check my bs and if it is at a reasonable level (sort of mid-way between meals just after my 2 hour reading or maybe at 3 hours) I will have said "naughtiness" and test it at 2 hours...... you may be surprised to find that it isn't so bad as you thought .... and might be able to incorporate it into a "treat" system to motivate you and keep you going..... If you're a "Magnum" girl, buy some mini ones..... If I tried to do LCHF especially VLCHF I would fail miserably, I know I would....My weight obviously isn't dropping like those and the LCHF but my bs is stable, and within limits, and that's more important to me.....

Hope your get up and go comes back...... I don't often have much for other health reasons so I DO know what that's like

Have a look at the Low Carb "What have you eaten today" thread and I think you will find some nice tasty things that you AND the family can enjoy together. Fritattas are great ...... stracciatella cake .... think that's in the Low Carb recipes section but if not let me know and I'll post it for you.

Big Hugs
    Jan

• Like Like x 7
  4. Mrsmac247

Thank you guys and @Sable_Jan, there are days that I swim through and days that I just wonder why bother as although my quality of health is better and the scales are smiling, I feel like rubbish. I have aches and pains all over and loose the will when we might have to grab something quickly out and about so I just don't bother. I suppose it doesn't help that my cooker has broken down!

• Like Like x 5
  5. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

That DEFINITELY doesn't help :bigtears::bigtears::banghead::banghead:
    Others have said about "carb flu" making them feel grotty for a while.... maybe worth you looking it up? Or starting a thread to ask about it? Seems to be like a withdrawal thing from carbs making people feel achy and cr*p but apparently does go....

Off to feed the dogs now

• Like Like x 5
  6. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

Uncanny, someone just posted on the LC Recipes thread so I HERE IT IS

• Like Like x 2
  7. chris lowe

chris lowe · Guest

It's only been four weeks so you are probably feeling in shock still. You will get through it. As Jan said, sometimes it takes a while for the body to get used to not having the carbs, but once you get used to what you can and can't eat (lots of testing before and after foods) you'll find that you might well be able to eat a small amount of ice cream etc. Bergen bread is well tolerated by some. If you'venot got one yet get a carb counter book. Little Gem do a pocket sized book that you can slip in your bag when out and about. You don't say why you're not taking the Metformin. It does reduce your bs levels a bit. Just try and think ahead to when things settle down. Good luck :)

• Like Like x 6
  8. chris lowe

chris lowe · Guest

Same as my mum, never measured and always turned out fine. Can't pay the same compliment to the mother in law, she used to pour the fat from whatever she was cooking over the rest of the meal, and she didn't "string" the runner beans yuk! :arghh:

• Like Like x 4
  9. chris lowe

chris lowe · Guest

I got hold of a copy of the Robin Ellis (ex Poldark) diabetic cook book. Very simplistic recipes, one was for lamb chops marinated in olive oil and rosemary then grilled. That was it!

10. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

Bacon fat on New potatoes and peas but not everything. And lamb fat makes gorgeous chips. When my Mum lived with MIL she HATED having sausages cos they got sausage gravy....loaded with all the fat.....

11. Mrsmac247

Thank you for replying @chris lowe. I actually ended up buying some lollies which were the lowest I could find at 17g I planned to share it with my husband but they are still in the freezer as the devil and Angel fight it out on my shoulder lol

• Like Like x 8
  12. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

What carbs do mini milk have? Mayb it's time to learn to make your own ;)

13. Mrsmac247

Hmm will look them up, funny you say that as I was looking for lolly molding trays to make some lollies for the freezer using no add sugar drinks or lemon water

• Like Like x 4
  14. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

Good thinking..... I made a packet mix icecream up using soya milk. Quite nice, also did a lemon version using essence and chocolate using cocoa powder. You can just have a small amount mayb with sugar free jelly and cream. Felt quite indulgent and sinful but tested saintly ;)

• Like Like x 7
  15. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

Unsweetened soya milk, sainsburys own

16. poohtiggy

poohtiggy Type 2 · Well-Known Member

:arghh::arghh::arghh:

• Like Like x 6
  17. Russ

Russ Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I promise you will feel better when you've worked it out. This takes different lengths of time for different people. You can have the ice cream. May be not as often. There is nothing you can't have, just less and not so often. But never think that you can't.

• Like Like x 9
  18. chris lowe

chris lowe · Guest

I end up sharing my vanilla mini magnums with Daisy (one of my cats) She sits and watches me until I've got a bit left on the stick which she licks off. :cat:

• Like Like x 6
  19. chris lowe

chris lowe · Guest

Bank holiday tv it's usual rubbish self so ended up watching Don't demolish my house. FGS! Are these people stupid???? If you have permission for a static caravan, don't build a canadian pine log cabin, if you've got permission for a single storey bungalow don't build a two floor chalet bungalow, don't build two garages and then turn one into a flat. So glad I watched it. Now to try and get my blood pressure down!:grumpy:

• Like Like x 6
  20. Sable_Jan

Sable_Jan · Guest

Remember when we only had a choice of BBC or ITV ? ;)

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook