The SCREAM thread

S

Sable_Jan

This is a game you were playing? Forgive me if I appear dim, boredom settled in earlier on( because of being on my own most of the day :bigtears:) and the little grey cells are taking their time to work things out :arghh:
Yep, Movie Alphabet, not Film as I put before. I know it was only a game but so simple my grandchildren could follow it especially when the rules have been explained over and over ad nauseum...it just ruins what is something relaxing and chilling...in normal circumstances

Reactions: 2 people
S

Sable_Jan

Yep, Movie Alphabet, not Film as I put before. I know it was only a game but so simple my grandchildren could follow it especially when the rules have been explained over and over ad nauseum...it just ruins what is something relaxing and chilling...in normal circumstances
And kept putting links to weird films, not even the right letter ... when it's obvious NO-ONE else is putting links....

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people

Thanks for the info SJ x

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Aaarrrgghhh!!!!
Is it me being the eccentric odd one out or I am the only one wanting to scream with displeasure for...wait for it...

Absolutely Fabulous and Absolutely Fabulous the Movie ?

I can't stand the script, overacting and do not find any of these funny.

Scream and rant over. I think I am alone on this one and take a barrage lol. :banghead:

Reactions: 7 people
S

Sable_Jan

Aaarrrgghhh!!!!
Is it me being the eccentric odd one out or I am the only one wanting to scream with displeasure for...wait for it...

Scream and rant over. I think I am alone on this one and take a barrage lol. :banghead:
You are NOT alone!!! Banal drivel comes to mind. Absolutely F***ing Atrocious would be more apt title

Trachet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Curry. Rude people.
Aaarrrgghhh!!!!

I have never found it funny either. Having been around people this year whose lives have been destroyed by alcoholic partners and parents I find it hard to look at it in a funny way. Moan over! now where did I put my bottle of cider?

S

Sable_Jan

Likewise. I find it almost impossible, although I like a good mystery, to endure detective shows that feature drunks, especially since I don't have many channels

On PBS, there is a detective show featuring an Irish detective who is a constant drunk and we are supposed to find it believable that a much younger female detective is in love with him

or, we can watch one with an Australian detective has a severe drinking problem and his housekeeper is supposed to love him despite this

or we can watch old reruns of Morse who we are supposed to believe is not only attractive but a genius although he speaks in a patronizing voice and is constantly drinking hard liquor.

Because of what alcohol has done to people I know and what has happened to the people that love them when they are drunk, I cannot find any of that entertaining .

And I am tired of receptions and other events, and even cooking shows that showcase alcohol.

I am tired of watching shows that could be fun about eating exotic foods showcase alcohol and getting drink in different cities.

When was getting drunk ever entertaining or amusing?

I absolutely LOVE Inspector Morse and he's never EVER drunk..and I don't find him in the least but patronising.. he drinks "real ales" hardly what I would call hard liquor....

The TV programmes about food and drink, well, the drink can enhance the food, freshen the palate between courses. It's not advertising it to get drunk ... there's nothing wrong with a nice wine with a nice meal .... and to be fair you don't have to watch them....

Quite agree that drinking in excess is a problem, an addiction, and can turn mild mannered people into monsters...but I don't see that many detective programmes featuring drunks on the right side of the law....if any

Last edited:

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ok hmmm I'm not a fan of inspector morse -sorry but somehow I find him boring.

As for Absolutely Fabulous I think it fair to say that there's two ways you can view it. One is the glamourising of the atrocious lifestyle that is I agree quite frankly unattractive and does ruin lives, the other way is to see it as a warning as to how said lifestyle impacts not only those who have said lifestyle but also the family.

Step back and look at it properly - Neither of the main characters actually do succeed in their lives that well they're constantly looking for something they cannot quite achieve, they may look glamorous but deep down their just constantly down on their luck so to speak. What happens to Eddies daughter, saffron? Well she's the only sensible one and gets responsibility at too early an age and although she's portrayed as being boring and dowdy, she is also grounded and cynical. Do I watch it and laugh? Rarely!

There's actually some quite profound truths about the lifestyle that come across that I don't think the writers and producers intend to be there. It's not there on the surface, if you look at it shallowly then it seems to be glamourising something distasteful and ugly, but if like me you think deeply and look at things from a different perspective to the norm, then you will find that there's a lot more truth to the portrayal than immediately meets the eye.

The problem with such programs is not really that they exist, but rather that people tend to look and want to follow the easy route, the route that looks glamorous and that they think is attractive - ergo Patsy and Eddie, instead of realising that that Patsy and Eddie are failures of the highest order trying to hold onto a misspent youth and who don't know the first thing about real life. They also don't realise that poor Saffron although she may look dowdy and be 'boring' is also failing, simply because she has to be the adult before she's grown up and had a chance to have a life of her own. Saffron though is sensible, and certainly is the closest to a 'normal', functioning adult in the whole of the programme - which is why people who ignore her. Programs like this have a lot to teach us if we are willing to learn and step away from the whole idea of taking the 'easy' and the shallow route.
Sorry for such a long post.

Reactions: 6 people
S

Sable_Jan

As for Absolutely Fabulous I think it fair to say that there's two ways you can view it. One is the glamourising of the atrocious lifestyle that is I agree quite frankly unattractive and does ruin lives, the other way is to see it as a warning as to how said lifestyle impacts not only those who have said lifestyle but also the family.

Step back and look at it properly - Neither of the main characters actually do succeed in their lives that well they're constantly looking for something they cannot quite achieve, they may look glamorous but deep down their just constantly down on their luck so to speak. What happens to Eddies daughter, saffron? Well she's the only sensible one and gets responsibility at too early an age and although she's portrayed as being boring and dowdy, she is also grounded and cynical. Do I watch it and laugh? Rarely!

There's actually some quite profound truths about the lifestyle that come across that I don't think the writers and producers intend to be there. It's not there on the surface, if you look at it shallowly then it seems to be glamourising something distasteful and ugly, but if like me you think deeply and look at things from a different perspective to the norm, then you will find that there's a lot more truth to the portrayal than immediately meets the eye.

The problem with such programs is not really that they exist, but rather that people tend to look and want to follow the easy route, the route that looks glamorous and that they think is attractive - ergo Patsy and Eddie, instead of realising that that Patsy and Eddie are failures of the highest order trying to hold onto a misspent youth and who don't know the first thing about real life. They also don't realise that poor Saffron although she may look dowdy and be 'boring' is also failing, simply because she has to be the adult before she's grown up and had a chance to have a life of her own. Saffron though is sensible, and certainly is the closest to a 'normal', functioning adult in the whole of the programme - which is why people who ignore her. Programs like this have a lot to teach us if we are willing to learn and step away from the whole idea of taking the 'easy' and the shallow route.
If you ever watch the Simpson's cartoons, as I did for a long time cos the kids loved them, each story has a moral. At least they did years ago. It's more on a subliminal level, same as you're saying about Ab Fab but hopefully kids that enjoyed the mayhem absorbed the morals

Reactions: 4 people

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you ever watch the Simpson's cartoons, as I did for a long time cos the kids loved them, each story has a moral. At least they did years ago. It's more on a subliminal level, same as you're saying about Ab Fab but hopefully kids that enjoyed the mayhem absorbed the morals

I've only watched a few Simpsons episodes due to the way in which they treat religion and portray religious people a fanatic weirdos and something to be ridiculed. So must admit I haven't really noticed the whole morality thing going in them. Unfortunately I doubt kinds are finding the morals in such programs unless they are taught to look for them, which I fear would be very few if any at all...

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

That old adage of studying tragedy to master comedy comes to mind..

Two aging "underachievers" stuck in a "carefree youth cycle." Granted there is a balance to be kept.. Everyone is entitled to kick off the shoes from time to time...
But the charators in this "sit com" tip it in the wrong direction...Lol, As a member of a band. I see stuff all the time..
Art imitating life.! ;)

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am dying to post a proper scream here but best not for fear of being booted of the forum and getting a lifetime ban lol

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I am dying to post a proper scream here but best not for fear of being booted of the forum and getting a lifetime ban lol

Sorry to read you feeling troubled, but step back and think about what you want to write. I used Phoebe's rant from a friends episode once, it was good, because she was letting rip, but obviously you couldn't hear, but you knew what the language was like :wideyed::oops:
Take care

N

NicolaB70

Neighbour...noise...drilling...hammering...sawing...on dividing wall...loud music...all day long...had enough now...nuff said

MH2010

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Don't name names and you'll be fine .... swear with !@#$%& etc

Its more a case of terrorists, religion, etc.

I thought EVERY religion, regardless of name, prayed to the same God.

I am by no means religious at all.

Makes you wonder, how many innocent women, men and children need to die before people figure that out.

The group who call themselves 'ISIS' or whatever the f**k they are called seriously need to figure the end of the day, they are destroying the homes and lives of loads of pwople but they are also responsible for wrecking their own vountry, killing their own peopl.

It actually gets me so f**king wound up its unreal.

S

Sable_Jan

Its more a case of terrorists, religion, etc.

I thought EVERY religion, regardless of name, prayed to the same God.

I am by no means religious at all.

Makes you wonder, how many innocent women, men and children need to die before people figure that out.

The group who call themselves 'ISIS' or whatever the f**k they are called seriously need to figure the end of the day, they are destroying the homes and lives of loads of pwople but they are also responsible for wrecking their own vountry, killing their own peopl.

It actually gets me so f**king wound up its unreal.
I don't do religion but they say "their" god, is the ONE god...... then fight to prove it..... don't know where today's terrorists fit in as only heard about it in passing.....

RoseofSharon

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It's so sad! Although I have very deep beliefs in The G-d of the Torah, however I do believe that such beliefs are a very personal thing... Those who wish to destroy others in order to I still fear and terror do a disservice to whatever G-d they may worship.....