The soles of my feet hurt

mylife

To date I have controlled my T2 via diet then about a month ago the soles of both feet became uncomfortable. Now I find that my left foot is particularly very tender on the ball/arch. The diet nurse said there is nothing to worry about but it is now uncomfortable to walk. Has anyone experienced the same problem ?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Welcome to the forum, Mylife.

I would see a podiatrist if I were you to check for such things as plantar fasciitis, gout, fallen arches etc. You can get the doctor to refer you or, in some areas , you can self refer. Your nurse is not an expert on feet, podiatrists are.

DazG

Hi Mylife.

I have almost the exact same problem with my left foot.

Came on a few months ago, I saw my Diabetic Dr who said I have an infection in my foot and gave me a cortisone injection which was very painful. This made my foot throb for about a week, and then it eased off.

About 3 weeks later it happened again, but went in around a week.

Now I have had it again for about 3 weeks, its the arch and ball and it feels sore, I also get pins and needles in it quite often, and it was going numb a lot, I also get pain around my ankle and the bottom front of my shin feels a little numb also. I will be visiting the doctor again this week to sort it out because it isnt normal and its starting to annoy me.

I have no idea what it is by the way, but hope you get yours sorted out.

mylife

Thanks for your input, I am due to see my Dr this week. It will be interesting to see what he thinks. I'll let you know how I get on. Let me know how you get on with your follow up appt.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
See a podiatrist anyway. You can self refer
Hana

mommydearest

Hi
I had exactly the same thing, I thought I'd done it exercising but could remember. I tried to get in to see the podiatrist but they were both away on holiday ( half term). (I tend to walk on the outsides of my feet) I was in so much pain and didn't know what to do, I didn't think the doctor was the right person to see and couldn't get in to see the podiatrist for 6 weeks, my husband suggested I try to walk on the inside of my foot putting my big toe down first. Within a couple of days this seemed to do the trick. It could be just coincidence of course. :?

jane22

Hi mylife, as others have said it would be sensible to see a podiatrist. I was wondering if you take statins as I had a lot of pain in my feet while taking them. I had many other problems associated with statins and after trying 2 sorts the doc suggested I stop taking them. The pain in my feet went fairly soon after.

jane22

When I first mentioned my feet to my doc she said it was unlikely to be due to the statin. However I eventually had other problems with them and liver enzymes were elevated and it was that which after trying 2 statins caused her to decide to halt the use. The pains in my feet and also by that time legs too went within a week or two and the liver returned to normal after about 6 months. I found those foot pains quite debilitating and some days walking around was very painful. I felt that to begin with the doc was reluctant to blame the statins for my foot pain. I think you should also visit the podiatrist as of course it could be something else and he/she may also be able to comment on the possibility of it being linked to statin use.

mylife

Hi Jane,

My Doc did not mind me coming off the statin. But he is now testing me for B12 deficiency, they never give up do they ?

I do hope the sore feet go away soon.

Thankyou for the information is was very much appreciated. I hope life is easier for you now.

jane22

Good, hope your feet get better. Mine have been fine ever since I stopped the statins. Cholesterol is OK but wouldn't want it any higher. Liver enzymes have remained back in normal range.I think it was about 2 years ago now that I stopped taking them. I think it's good if your doc is testing you for different things. Fingers x for you.

mylife

Hi Jane,
May I ask a question?
When you came off statins did you have any short term reactions, like tiredness and aching ?
Obviously you don't have to answer reply but I was just wondering.

Thanks

jane22

It was a while back now and I can't remember. I think tiredness which I used to have big time was more to do with my poorly controlled BG. Now it is well controlled I am much less tired. I do remember the pain in my feet which was dreadful and a lesser extent in my legs went quite quickly.

adm

I used to suffer from horrible pain in my feet - especially in the middle of the night or when I got up in the morning Very stiff and sore on the soles. My doctor said it was most likely plantar fascitis.

I bought a pair of crocs on holiday last summer and the problem disappeared almost overnight! It was just wonderful. They may be ugly looking rubber shoes, but oh boy are they comfortable!

Before that, I had mainly been wearing fairly tight, leather soled business shoes or boots with no give at all. Now I wear crocs most days and if I have to dress up for work I wear boots with plenty of give in the sole, and of course correct fit!

It might not work for you, but I haven't needed to go to the podiatrist since changing footwear. I did have to go to the chiropodist when I first got diagnosed as T2 - but she said I had perfect foot health and she wouldn't expect to see me again for several years!

raymond123

Dislikes
tv
i have not noticed diabetic neurophathy anywhere, i had a heart bypass 16 years ago,going into hospital with a slight back problem, 6 months later i had a disectomy, could not walk after bypass, feet still bad but i do not know cause of problem. 2 amitripalene per day(50 mg total) i have found to be the best painkiller.

mylife

Just an update I came off statins 26 days ago and I am starting to feel much better except for the ringing in one ear. Is this another effect of taking simvistatin, do I now have to suffer tinnitus for ever ?

jane22

I'm glad you are feeling better, has the pain in your feet gone? I didn't get any ringing in my ears, best to read through the patient information leaflet and see if it mentions it. The trouble is it's very easy to blame everything on a drug! :?

skeltonr9

Hi i had the same prooblem and was told it was plantis fasias(policemans foot).This lasted for about 3 months.I bought a circulation booster and used it every day on my feet this certainly eased the pain then all of a sudden all the pain dissapeared overnight (what a relief).But thinking about it i also stopped taking my statins so not sure if the circulation booster solved the problem or stopping the statins But still well worth looking into trying the booster as it deffinately eased my neuropathy.

mylife

Now into February and my left foot still hurting and at night both the soles of my feet feel extremely taut. I am lost for what course of action to take or do I just wait and see !!

Clairslloyd

I had sore feet for ages - something called "white finger/foot" - wasnt on medication then but would be interested to know if this is connected with diabetes. Sorry to interupt the thread :( but was curious