The Wonderful Low-carb Courgette...

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all - first, let me say this is not an advert - just a vote of thanks from a very satisfied T2 person who's currently doing LCHF (with some success, I might add...).

I bought some spiralised courgettes from the Co-Op as I had never tried them. Cooked 'em up in a stir fry with some garlic, beansprouts, a little bit of onion, big dollop of Crucial Chili Sauce and some diced Boczek (pronounced bohcheck - it's Polish smoked pork - just like a big piece of smoked bacon - very fatty but lovely. You can get it at Morrison's or most of the big supermarkets or of course the freindly neighbourhood Polski Sklep) - it's not very dear at all. You could also use bacon if you like and it works with chicken as well.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was amazed at how good the courgette was in the stir fry - just like noodles. So amazed, in fact, that I went on the internet looking for spiralisers. The hand-operated ones all had somewhat dodgy reviews, then I came across the Morphy Richards 432020 - electric on Amazon. Not cheap at about £50, but by then my enthusiasm was getting the better of me. Duly ordered it and a day later it arrived. Door knocker went and I was presented with my parcel.

As expected, on going back into the house, I was greeted with the usual old "oh god, what have you bought now" eyes rolling routine from the OH. Undaunted, I went into the kitchen, unpacked and washed it and set it up - all of 2 or 3 minutes work. First try, I used the "pasta" cutter which gives flatter strips rather than the sqaure section produced by the "julienne" cutter and used them in more-or-less the same recipe as before.

SUCCESS - even better, because the courgette was so fresh! Absolutely brilliant - even SWMBO was impressed! (to paraphase Nigel Farage - she wasn't laughing now!)

Since then I've used it for this Pizza recipe by Laura Agar Wilson. Worked a treat.

Ingredients
  1. 2 small or 1 and a half medium courgettes
  2. 1 medium egg
  3. 30g cheese, grated - I used mild organic cheddar
  4. 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
  5. Toppings of choice – e,g. tomato paste, red onion, red pepper and feta cheese etc.
Instructions
  1. Grate the courgette and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with a little salt and leave for 10 minutes.
  2. Pre heat the oven to 220c. Place the courgette in a clean tea towel (or you can use your hands) and squeeze the liquid out.
  3. Put it back in the bowl, add the other ingredients and mix well.
  4. Line a baking sheet with some grease proof paper, or a fancy silicone baking sheet.
  5. Spread the mixture thinly into whatever shape you like, it should be about 3-4mm thick.
  6. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until golden brown with crispy edges. Add you toppings and return to the oven until it's done how you like it. Eat!
Yes, it worked! I've also used the courgette noodles for the following, which is my own recipe:

Beef stir-fry with black pepper and cream sauce.

Ingredients
  2. 8oz good quality steak
  3. If you like, about 10 small button mushrooms, thinly sliced
  4. 1 small onion
  5. Garlic to your taste
  6. 1 dsp black peppercorns - very coarsely crushed in mortar & pestle (so coarse that there might even be some uncrushed peppercorns)
  7. 1 small pot double cream
  8. 1 small pot soured cream
  9. Salt to taste
Instructions
  1. Spiralise the courgette and place in a bowl.
  2. Slice the steak very thin.
  3. Slice the onion and garlic, again very thinly.
  4. Mix 1 pot of double cream with 1/2 pot of sour cream and put to one side.
  5. Preferably in a heavy frying pan (you will see why later) heat some oil until it is quite hot and add the onion, garlic, mushrooms and peppercorns and cook until the onions are just going transparent.
  6. At this point, add the steak and cook until it is just done. No need to overdo it.
  7. Add salt to taste.
  8. Take the pan off the heat and put it on a trivet. Now add the cream and stir through the steak/onion/mushroom/pepper mixing thoroughly.
  9. DO NOT do this on the heat as the cream will curdle. The heat from the pan warms up the cream sauce.
  10. While all this is going on, fry the courgette noodles in another pan for 3-4 minutes (multi-tasking at its finest).
  11. When the noodles are done, plate them up and cover with the steak/cream mixture.
Don't know what you think of this, but it works for me! So thanks Morphy Richards for a gadget that works and definiteley won't end up at the back of the cupboard with all the others!

Anyway, cheers
D23

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 4 people

Deespee23

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oops. ...perhaps this ought to be in the food, nutrition and recipes forum.....can a Mod help, please...?

And no, not hardcore, just a mug for gadgets......this one works, for once!!

Reactions: 4 people

nomoredonuts

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Current American Presidents.
My Spiralizer works manually.
That is to say - once a year !

Reactions: 2 people

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I love courgettes. I have an allotment, and although this has been a terrible year for growing (well at least in my malnourished plot it has been), the one thing I have a glut of is Courgettes. My favourite way of preparing them is to slice them with a veggie peeler, cook in butter in the pan, and then put pesto and cheese over them.
I'm now going to buy a spiralizer... because I too am a sucker for gadgets and I think I need one. lol.

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi all - first, let me say this is not an advert - just a vote of thanks from a very satisfied T2 person who's currently doing LCHF (with some success, I might add...).

I bought some spiralised courgettes from the Co-Op as I had never tried them. Cooked 'em up in a stir fry with some garlic, beansprouts, a little bit of onion, big dollop of Crucial Chili Sauce and some diced Boczek (pronounced bohcheck - it's Polish smoked pork - just like a big piece of smoked bacon - very fatty but lovely. You can get it at Morrison's or most of the big supermarkets or of course the freindly neighbourhood Polski Sklep) - it's not very dear at all. You could also use bacon if you like and it works with chicken as well.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I was amazed at how good the courgette was in the stir fry - just like noodles. So amazed, in fact, that I went on the internet looking for spiralisers. The hand-operated ones all had somewhat dodgy reviews, then I came across the Morphy Richards 432020 - electric on Amazon. Not cheap at about £50, but by then my enthusiasm was getting the better of me. Duly ordered it and a day later it arrived. Door knocker went and I was presented with my parcel.

As expected, on going back into the house, I was greeted with the usual old "oh god, what have you bought now" eyes rolling routine from the OH. Undaunted, I went into the kitchen, unpacked and washed it and set it up - all of 2 or 3 minutes work. First try, I used the "pasta" cutter which gives flatter strips rather than the sqaure section produced by the "julienne" cutter and used them in more-or-less the same recipe as before.

SUCCESS - even better, because the courgette was so fresh! Absolutely brilliant - even SWMBO was impressed! (to paraphase Nigel Farage - she wasn't laughing now!)

Since then I've used it for this Pizza recipe by Laura Agar Wilson. Worked a treat.

Ingredients
  2. 1 medium egg
  3. 30g cheese, grated - I used mild organic cheddar
  4. 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
  5. Toppings of choice – e,g. tomato paste, red onion, red pepper and feta cheese etc.
Instructions
  1. Grate the courgette and place in a bowl. Sprinkle with a little salt and leave for 10 minutes.
  2. Pre heat the oven to 220c. Place the courgette in a clean tea towel (or you can use your hands) and squeeze the liquid out.
  3. Put it back in the bowl, add the other ingredients and mix well.
  4. Line a baking sheet with some grease proof paper, or a fancy silicone baking sheet.
  5. Spread the mixture thinly into whatever shape you like, it should be about 3-4mm thick.
  6. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes until golden brown with crispy edges. Add you toppings and return to the oven until it's done how you like it. Eat!
Yes, it worked! I've also used the courgette noodles for the following, which is my own recipe:

Beef stir-fry with black pepper and cream sauce.

Ingredients
  2. 8oz good quality steak
  3. If you like, about 10 small button mushrooms, thinly sliced
  4. 1 small onion
  5. Garlic to your taste
  6. 1 dsp black peppercorns - very coarsely crushed in mortar & pestle (so coarse that there might even be some uncrushed peppercorns)
  7. 1 small pot double cream
  8. 1 small pot soured cream
  9. Salt to taste
Instructions
  1. Spiralise the courgette and place in a bowl.
  2. Slice the steak very thin.
  3. Slice the onion and garlic, again very thinly.
  4. Mix 1 pot of double cream with 1/2 pot of sour cream and put to one side.
  5. Preferably in a heavy frying pan (you will see why later) heat some oil until it is quite hot and add the onion, garlic, mushrooms and peppercorns and cook until the onions are just going transparent.
  6. At this point, add the steak and cook until it is just done. No need to overdo it.
  7. Add salt to taste.
  8. Take the pan off the heat and put it on a trivet. Now add the cream and stir through the steak/onion/mushroom/pepper mixing thoroughly.
  9. DO NOT do this on the heat as the cream will curdle. The heat from the pan warms up the cream sauce.
  10. While all this is going on, fry the courgette noodles in another pan for 3-4 minutes (multi-tasking at its finest).
  11. When the noodles are done, plate them up and cover with the steak/cream mixture.
Don't know what you think of this, but it works for me! So thanks Morphy Richards for a gadget that works and definiteley won't end up at the back of the cupboard with all the others!

Anyway, cheers
D23

BrianTheElder

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Snide people
Hi
I too was amazed at the versatility of courgette recently. I tried a Waitrose card recipe for Ham Cheese and Courgette omelette
https://www.waitrose.com/content/wa.../ham-cheddar-omelettewithgratedcourgette.html
This involved grated courgette, but I'm sure spiralised would be really good. I sort of expected the grated courgette to be mushy, but it is surprisingly robust and it is a really nice meal with a ketogenic ratio KR of 1.80, so highly recommended for LCHF followers.

MaxineKL

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
I'm especially looking forward to trying the pizza on a spirilized courgette (or as we call them in North America, zucchini) base. Meanwhile I'm getting worried as my fairly strict low carving doesn't seem to be bringing my FBS down from where it was 2 months ago, when my doctor pronounced me (pre-)diabetic (6.1) , and I keep discovering 'low carb' recipes (e. G., quinoa -based porridge with chia ) that drive my post-prandial readings into the 8s and beyond... The silver lining is that I 've lost nearly 4 kg since starting this in mid-June. But shouldn't I be seeing a better response in FBS levels by now if this is going to work for me?