them polyol things you get in low sugar sweets..

boron

I've had my colon removed so in my case it would pass right through and I'd get no calories (or carbs?) from polyols?

It is usually said that polyols are "poorly absorbed" in the small intestine, so I should correct my above statement that they are "not absorbed."

In one study in individuals with ileostomy:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7859694

"...the metabolizable energy value of the polyols for 2 x 15 g intake were: sorbitol, 12 kJ/g (2.8 kcal/g); maltitol, 13 kJ/g (3.1 kcal/g); isomalt, 9 kJ/g (2.1 kcal/g).

Last edited by a moderator:
K

Kat100

I don't give anything sweet to my dog so he should be safe. I had to take him to the vet recently when my birdfeeder fell over in the wind and he ate 3 fat balls! He's got pancreatitus and is on a low fat diet (a nightmare for him now I'm eating more bacon and cheese!), so they had to make him sick to get rid of them. Cost me around £120!

Anyway, I've given up trying to understand this and will just accept that it's better than sugar, tastes better than every other sweetener, but not to use a lot of it.
A lot of us bake with xylitiol , no problem for me, it is made from the sap of the silver birch tree ...
Yes as @Brunneria states..it is toxic to dogs ...good to remind people ...because I did not know that fact ...

Hope your dear dog is ok ...the fat balls ....oooo nooo they were expensive fat balls ...

Reactions: 4 people

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is usually said that polyols are "poorly absorbed" in the small intestine, so I should correct my above statement that they are "not absorbed."

In one study in individuals with ileostomy:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7859694

"...the metabolizable energy value of the polyols for 2 x 15 g intake were: sorbitol, 12 kJ/g (2.8 kcal/g); maltitol, 13 kJ/g (3.1 kcal/g); isomalt, 9 kJ/g (2.1 kcal/g).

Thank you, I understand every word of that! ;) I think the only thing that is absorbed by the colon is excess water that normally gos back into the body, which of course people with ileostomies don't get, so it can easily lead to dehydration. Almost everything else is in the small intestine so i shouldn't be missing out on too much.

rowan

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lot of us bake with xylitiol , no problem for me, it is made from the sap of the silver birch tree ...
Yes as @Brunneria states..it is toxic to dogs ...good to remind people ...because I did not know that fact ...

Hope your dear dog is ok ...the fat balls ....oooo nooo they were expensive fat balls ...

Yes he's fine now thank you, daft dog! He's nearly 13 years old and has no more sense than he had at 13 months, lol! :D

Reactions: 2 people

Mauser792

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Idiots
Well Polyols.
I have found a Belgian dark chocolate with per 100grms
17.5 Carbs
3.2 Sugar
8.5 Polyols
Its delicious and wonder of wonders does not seem to spike me.
I am a bit wary of the colonic choo choo train, but I keep my intake low as a treat only.
Sometimes you have to take a risk and try different things or what`s the point.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well Polyols.
I have found a Belgian dark chocolate with per 100grms
17.5 Carbs
3.2 Sugar
8.5 Polyols
Its delicious and wonder of wonders does not seem to spike me.
I am a bit wary of the colonic choo choo train, but I keep my intake low as a treat only.
Sometimes you have to take a risk and try different things or what`s the point.
Is that the Cavalier?

Listlad

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I quite like liquorice and Aldi do a sugar free version. However they are “explosive” in their effect, to say the least.