Theresa May Misleading People Regarding Glucose Monitor

D

Deleted Account

It am sure plenty of people do get them on the NHS if they are felt to be really necessary for them and that is probably not T2's who are not on insulin. What is the criteria to actually need one.
The criteria is per CCG ... at least interpreted differently per CCG.
For me, I need at least 8 test strips per day (excluding for driving) and either two hospitalisation due to DKA or at least two severe hypos requiring assistance (which alone would result in loss of driving license) and other similar criteria.
I am not alone in arguing the Libre should be used to avoid these occurrences rather than because of them.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Pm May was a little cagey o_O Also when she mentioned the young girl who stopped using the Freestyle Libre because of hypo's and used another form of a CGM ( and this is no disrespect to the young girl she mentioned) she said there were other's ways of controlling diabetes and not just the one, so still no answer to the actual question. I am MDI and if I have too much Insulin for my carb intake, I would go hypo as well ! maybe I should get a CGM, oh wait, I tried that............... :rolleyes:

Copernicus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I get the point you are making but you could have done so without sexiest examples.
You are quite right and I appologise I didn't mean my remarks to be sexist, there were the first two things that I thought of (and I don't mean breasts) when replying.
Incidently I have had two sensors fail within 24 hrs of each other, one of which was brand new. Abbott really need to address their quality control in this regard.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pm May was a little cagey o_O Also when she mentioned the young girl who stopped using the Freestyle Libre because of hypo's and used another form of a CGM ( and this is no disrespect to the young girl she mentioned) she said there were other's ways of controlling diabetes and not just the one, so still no answer to the actual question. I am MDI and if I have too much Insulin for my carb intake, I would go hypo as well ! maybe I should get a CGM, oh wait, I tried that............... :rolleyes:
I thought she was just trying not to be specific about the Libre to avoid endorsing it. Along the same lines as the "other whatevers are available" often heard on the BBC. Incidentally she is my MP and a very pleasant person to talk to.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
This caused quite a lot of debate on Twitter as well. I think the statements made about "Other forms of CGM" were at the very least misleading, given the huge restrictions in place around access to them.

Remember the politicians can say that anything is available on the NHS if it is available in the NHS BSA Tariff List or recommended in NICE Guidelines.

That's very different from saying "You will be able to get it on the NHS".

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Probably different hospitals have different criteria's and funding too.
Type 1 for 29 years, summer 2018, critically ill in ICU, when recovering, was told I fit the criteria to get one. So when I had my appointment 6 weeks later at the hospital diabetes clinic, I couldn't have one. But, if I said I couldn't cope anymore, can't do finger pricks anymore, throw a hissy fit or give an possible Oscar winning performance, then I would have some of the criteria.
I could really, really do with one, but, I can't afford to buy it myself.
Yes I agree that T1's should have one if they need it regardless of what post code they live in

D

Deleted Account

Yes I agree that T1's should have one if they need it regardless of what post code they live in
You keep mentioning"if they need it".
I think the issue is the definition of "need" in this context.
NICE and various CCGs have come up with their own definitions but many of us believe the definitions are too tight.

Pinkorchid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You keep mentioning"if they need it".
I think the issue is the definition of "need" in this context.
NICE and various CCGs have come up with their own definitions but many of us believe the definitions are too tight.
I use the word "need" because I do not know who do qualify to get one on the NHS so I presume "need" as far as the NHS goes must play a big part in getting one

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Theresa May "Those systems are now available on the NHS"
- sounds pretty clear to me...

smc4761

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Theresa May "Those systems are now available on the NHS"
- sounds pretty clear to me...

To be fair, her quote that "those systems are available on NHS" is 100% factually correct.

In the real world however , whilst they may be available, as many type 1 will confirm, they have a very very limited availability. Many of the health boards, or whatever they are called in your area, simply place ridiculous restrictions on the Libre and for many it is not made available to them.

In my health board area they are giving out 12 per month. I have no idea how many diabetics are living in my area but given the population covers approx 750 000 people, I would imagine that approx 750 people will be type 1. Now if they are giving out 144 per year, it would take 5 years just to cover the current diabetic people. How many more will be diagnosed in next 5 years who will then need Libre

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all ! I have read the criteria's for the libre , both NICE and the CCG for my area,( they ratified on the 5th Oct so it is available) .
I believe i fit the criteria , please dont think im high and mighty but as a retired RGN,RMN ward manager i am used to medical jargonand so cap in hand off i go today to see my DSN and get my px. Im ready for the bs ....im not going anywhere without a fight today. ☺

D

Deleted Account

Morning all ! I have read the criteria's for the libre , both NICE and the CCG for my area,( they ratified on the 5th Oct so it is available) .
I believe i fit the criteria , please dont think im high and mighty but as a retired RGN,RMN ward manager i am used to medical jargonand so cap in hand off i go today to see my DSN and get my px. Im ready for the bs ....im not going anywhere without a fight today. ☺
Good luck!
Tell us how you got on.
And, if successful, how you did it.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My local CCG (Brentwood & Basildon) will not give GP’s permission to prescribe the Freestyle Libre.

I have written to my local MP, who happens to be Conservative, regarding the matter. Hoping he can put some pressure on.

May I suggest others do the same?

Elaine p

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am type 2 diabetic and personally believe all Type 1s should get the Libra on the NHS, not only for good management of their illness, but also to alleviate stress and anxiety. It’s not just a “sit and we’ll see” illness, it’s management is about being pro-active and resources should be made available to achieve this.

annliggins

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin