'Think like a Pancreas' wow.

lely

So in my run up to becoming a pumper on the 7th Dec. I decided it was time to read 'Think like pancreas' with little faith that it could give me any more info than my diabetes team or the people in the diabetes community. First couple of chapters were, as I expected stuff I knew, feelings I'd thought. BUT THEN. I get to chapter 4/5/6, and decided to follow instructions for the Basal test. Many on here have advised it but the written instructions in the book are easier to refer back to.
SO. Test at bed 6.1. Test at 4am 5.1 ( I would normally have a drink of luco at that point thinking I won't make it till breakfast without a hypo) keeping the faith I drifted back to sleep, no toilet visit, result. 7.30am 5.2. Since this is within the advised 1.7 mmol shift I guess my basal rate is good.
If I can keep this level of control up, the confident will give me is tremendous. As for the book, wow if you've not read it your denying yourself a powerful tool in this battle of wits.
On with the rest of the book for me and a change of regime, but it's gonna be easier with this book at my bedside. Have a good day all.

Reactions: 7 people

becky.ford93

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I don't have a pump, but also read the book and thought the chapter on basal testing was awesome, really thorough and easy to follow. So nice to read something written by someone who has the medical knowledge but also the empathy of actually being type one

Reactions: 4 people

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Having just self funded a Dexcom G4 CGM, I have started reading some diabetes related books. This is something I have never done before. I've been diabetic for over 30 years, and poorly controlled for pretty much all of that, but assumed I new everything. How wrong I was. So far I have read Think like a pancreas, and agree with your comments completely. I then read Beyond Fingersticks, which was ok, but am now well into Sugar Surfing, and my eyes are completely opened up to some things I suspected but never confirmed, some things I knew, but ignored and some things that have been a pure revelation - I highly recommend both this book and Think like a pancreas.

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's a great book @lely, as your moving to a pump you should also purchase the book Pumping Insulin.

Reactions: 2 people

lely

@paulliljeros @noblehead, I will be getting and reading all the above mentioned books. I have to say though if I'd have read this one 5 years ago it probably would have been nonsense to me. Due to life simply getting in the way, finding time to test record and analyse was was just impossible, now with the kids being a little older I get more time to sit once a day for 20 mins or so and write it all down. Plus it's good for their understanding and Math. :)

Abbiec12

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Is it a good book to read if your on insulin injections, not a pump?

paulliljeros

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Is it a good book to read if your on insulin injections, not a pump?
In my opinion both "Think like a pancreas" and "Sugar Surfing" are tailored very slightly towards pump users, but both state they are equally valid for injections. I am not on a pump, and would recommend either to both pumpers and Injections without hesitation. I am still amazed at how much I feel I personally gained from them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gaz-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
baked beans
I need to order the think like a pancreas book, totally forgot about it :(

Reactions: 2 people