THINNING HAIR

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've seen diabetone bits advertised o. The diabetecis website, has anyone taken then? Are they any good. What is a good multivitam? Any advise welcome thanks. Good day to you all

Reactions: 2 people

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
'@ Maureen5752, Hello, I think one of my last tests earlier in the year some vitamin levels were checked, B's and I think they were ok, I am supposed to be on iron, but not taking it, it does my stomach no good and the side effects are terrible. I think if you decide to have a little boost, then the recommended
dose id used, I do feel better when I take them and I do get a lift, and things feel better.
The H&B assistant was being very careful and honest, but I will be having a little boost as I feel very done, and it could help my tiredness due to low iron levels.
My very thin hair is right on the top of my head, and a very fine layer of hair is 'combed over' so do I act santa for a wig, cap or wooly hat? I will be looking into vitamins and minerals to help my bits out of sorts and build them up, slowly. Well ttfn from Karen.

Reactions: 4 people

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
'@ Maureen5752, Hello, I think one of my last tests earlier in the year some vitamin levels were checked, B's and I think they were ok, I am supposed to be on iron, but not taking it, it does my stomach no good and the side effects are terrible. I think if you decide to have a little boost, then the recommended
dose id used, I do feel better when I take them and I do get a lift, and things feel better.
The H&B assistant was being very careful and honest, but I will be having a little boost as I feel very done, and it could help my tiredness due to low iron levels.
My very thin hair is right on the top of my head, and a very fine layer of hair is 'combed over' so do I act santa for a wig, cap or wooly hat? I will be looking into vitamins and minerals to help my bits out of sorts and build them up, slowly. Well ttfn from Karen.
Hi thanks for your reply. Sorry I didn't answer. Didn't see it till just. Been bit poorly and busy hospital ext. having eye op on dec 1st. Worried as I also have macular. Sights become very blurry, I bought the diabetone to try, one with omega 3. Hope it helps if not I will try another. My hair is still falling out in handfuls. Bought perfectil Also see which I try. Good luck hope you feel better

I noticed my hair thinning on the crown of my head about 2 months in from starting Metformin and I was worried that there was becoming more hair on my brush than on my head. I mentioned this to my doctor and he said that he had noticed this amounst his patients. He believed that this may be partly due to a loss of Vitamin B (I cannot remember which one) and told me to start taking one a day of Vitamin B Complex (B1, B2, B3, B5, B6, B12, D-Biotin, Folic Acid). This appears to have stabilised the loss and I hope it starts to return to growth (we can only hope).
Metformin impairs the absorption of B12 in the gut, some research has implied B9 is also affected. You might have better results with a sub-lingual B12 tablet since it bypasses the gut.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Been taking diabetone and using pertical and have noticed little hairs sprouting up on top of my head!!!! Hopefully my hairs growing back, gonna look odd though as my hairs half way down to my back! Will look like Ivr got a hedgehog sitting on my head, still glad it's growing again. Thanks alisonjane10 for the advice on pertical

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!

katcot

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I noticed my hair thinning and dropping out about 6 years ago. I went to the doctor and tried various things but nothing worked. I put it down to stress as I had been nursing my mother and she died 6 years ago and my hair looked really bad at that time.

I looked around the Internet and finally found a product called Thicker Fuller Hair. It didn't make the problem go away but it helped enormously. I bought the shampoo, conditioner and most importantly, the thickening serum. I managed with this for a long time as well as having my hair cut to one length in a blunt cut so it appeared a bit thicker. I have also been taking Biotin, B complex and a good multi vitamin and mineral pill. There was no real improvement but I managed to hide the bald patches most of the time.

Lately however my kids have commented that my hair looked a lot better and they couldn't see any guth bald patches even when I put it up!

I had thought it seemed better but put it down to my imagination. But it was true so much so that I stopped the thickening agent and although it's not back to my original volume it's reasonable.

The only thing I can attribute this to is the fact that I had started making and drinking Kefir and as well as several other benefits it seems to have helped my hair. I just wouldn't go without drinking a glass a day now. You can search on you tube for details or ask me.

Sorry about the long post but this has and still affect me very deeply.

Kat

Alisonjane10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies, discrimination of any kind, bad manners, parents who let their kids run amok & spoil things for everyone else, unkind spiteful people, being a clumsy clod, toast crumbs in the bed, cold feet!!
I noticed my hair thinning and dropping out about 6 years ago. I went to the doctor and tried various things but nothing worked. I put it down to stress as I had been nursing my mother and she died 6 years ago and my hair looked really bad at that time.

I looked around the Internet and finally found a product called Thicker Fuller Hair. It didn't make the problem go away but it helped enormously. I bought the shampoo, conditioner and most importantly, the thickening serum. I managed with this for a long time as well as having my hair cut to one length in a blunt cut so it appeared a bit thicker. I have also been taking Biotin, B complex and a good multi vitamin and mineral pill. There was no real improvement but I managed to hide the bald patches most of the time.

Lately however my kids have commented that my hair looked a lot better and they couldn't see any guth bald patches even when I put it up!

I had thought it seemed better but put it down to my imagination. But it was true so much so that I stopped the thickening agent and although it's not back to my original volume it's reasonable.

The only thing I can attribute this to is the fact that I had started making and drinking Kefir and as well as several other benefits it seems to have helped my hair. I just wouldn't go without drinking a glass a day now. You can search on you tube for details or ask me.

Sorry about the long post but this has and still affect me very deeply.

Kat

Hi @katcot. I think hair loss, especially for a woman, causes much sadness & distress. A woman's hair is historically seen to be her "crowning glory." That's one of the reasons we spend so much money at the salon keeping our locks looking tip-top.

I've never heard of Kefir. So, if you could tell me your experience of using it & how It's helped, I'm sure it would be useful for lots of us. My hair is so much better. But I doubt it'll ever be the way it used to be before I was diagnosed. I agree with you though, a good hair cut/style, plus a volume mousse etc can make a huge difference to the look of the hair.

maureen5752

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @katcot. I think hair loss, especially for a woman, causes much sadness & distress. A woman's hair is historically seen to be her "crowning glory." That's one of the reasons we spend so much money at the salon keeping our locks looking tip-top.

I've never heard of Kefir. So, if you could tell me your experience of using it & how It's helped, I'm sure it would be useful for lots of us. My hair is so much better. But I doubt it'll ever be the way it used to be before I was diagnosed. I agree with you though, a good hair cut/style, plus a volume mousse etc can make a huge difference to the look of the hair.
. Aj10 Ihi this is Maureen hope you had good Xmas. Kefir can be bought on Internet but you get very little, buying drinks can become exspensive in long term, my friend lost her hair for different reasons and has been using kefir for years but her hair has never grown. If you buy your own you need to use a tiny holed PLASTIC colander and plastics spoon. No metal, as kefir is like a live bacteria, it's great for people with tummy proplems it calms the stomache, I have kefir in my kitchen now, if you buy live kefir then you put it in plastic container and cover with milk, keep warm the next day it's like yoghurt so you strain it with water and you get the kefir drink. Then you just add milk again keep warm and so on. , kefir does grow! Yes it does really. Good luck, it's very healthy for you anyway, I brought mine back from holiday. Ps. My op was not a success got problems

katcot

Type of diabetes
Type 2

I had never heard of Kefir until someone on Streetlife locally said they had extra grains for anyone who wanted to start doing it.

Kefir is best made in a glass jar (I use mason jars bought from Ikea). I use the ones which cost about £2.50. You don't need to
sterilise the jars they just need to be clean. You pop the grains in and top it up with whole milk. (You can use other milks but the
taste is different). You close the jar, with or without the rubber band, put it out of direct sunlight like a kitchen worktop and cover
the jar with a clean tea towel to exclude any light.

It takes approx. 24 to 36 hours - more if you want it really sour. I like it at 24 hrs but if I keep it in a cold kitchen at this time of year
its more like 36 hours.

I then test it by just tipping the jar and can see that it's thickened (not solid as I think that's too solid for my taste). You need a
plastic or stainless steel sieve and a spatula. I use a large 2 litre jug from Wilkinsons (£1) and strain it through my stainless
steel sieve (I found the cheapest to be in Tesco at about £4.50) into the jar and I put the grains left in the sieve into a fresh
clean jar with new milk for the cycle to start again. The made Kefir I put in the fridge and it will keep for about a week but have
never really tested this. The sieve and spatula I use just for making Kefir.

The reason that I like this double sieve is that the new grains start really tiny and this way they don't drop through the holes of
the plastic sieve as they are the strongest and if I have too many and nobody to pass any onto I throw away some of the
older bigger ones (they look a bit like bits of cauliflower). I do not wash the grains in between. The sieve I rinse and dry
straight away as it cannot go in the dishwasher.

It is best to use glass for making this as plastic can contaminate it. But really look on You Tube there are many demonstrations.

They are a lot of claims for its benefits. The biggest being the number of beneficial bacteria much more than the bio yoghurts
you buy. The only way to kill them is by heating the kefir. But adding it to smoothies is good although I prefer it just as it is.
You can also add things like maple syrup etc. (I tend to say do not add honey as it's anti-bacterial). The taste to me is a bit
like runny greek yoghurt.

You don't have to use mason jars - just any clean glass jar with a lid.

For me the main difference I noticed right away was how it improved enormously my quality of sleep. I had suffered for years
with sleepless nights and being up for 3-4 hours in the middle of the night. Since I started with Kefir this has only happened
a couple of times. I still only sleep about 6 hours a night but I get a good solid sleep and do not awake at the slightest thing
and feel more refreshed. I am not positive about the hair but it is only recently that I have noticed the change and there is
nothing else which I have changed in my life.

Kat

Reactions: 4 people

TrishaHibb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started taking Sitaglyptin 100g tablet once a day back in August as I couldn't tolerate metformin in any form and my doctor really wanted to get my type 2 diabetes under control. My hair has always been quite thick even when my glucose levels were really high (Haibc 98 at one stage ). I also have hypothyroidism and have taken 125mg every day for about 12 years. In the last month my hair has been falling out a lot and is now very very thin. It is getting so bad that I am seriously thinking of coming off the Sitaglyptin! I have never had any bad symptoms with high blood sugar and must admit sometimes I felt better than I do now I am on meds and my levels are down from around 17 in the morning to about 9. I have been taking a vitamin B tablet or multi vitamin every day as I was told this would help but it doesn't seem to be making any difference. I am overweight and was starting to lose some but since I started meds it is going back on and getting harder to lose any. Can anyone help me please ?