Prediabetes This is my first post.

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Oh goodness what an irresponsible nurse you have there Beebeelady. For her to repeat 3 times "You are not diabetic" was a stupid thing to say. If you had been a person that did not have any information on your health, you could of easily of thought "Right I am not diabetic so I will just eat small portions of everything" not realising that certain foods could give you sugar spikes and for you to actually become diabetic. What she should have done was concentrate on helping you not become diabetic. I read on other forums before this one that we as Prediabetic is to eat as if we were diabetic, that way we can reverse our sugar levels and have a much better chance of not becoming diabetic. Well, I am seeing my nurse for the first time on the 12th of July,boy is she in for a shock if she gets stroppy with me lol..I will never be rude but I will not take any nonsense either. This is our health and we are all trying to do our best and help ourselves conquer the high BG levels, it is only right that we should get good support from our surgery. Don't be too upset as it seem's like she caught you off guard and if she hadn't you probably would have explained more to the nurse. I am prepared as I have read other people's experiences with some of their nurses and doctors.

Beebeelady

Hi, @Beebeelady
Welcome to our forum.
Using your monitor to see what food does to your blood sugar levels is very important and keeping the food diary is just as important.
Even if you don't have any condition, it will give you the information to make your mind up about what foods you should avoid or reduce in portion size, to help you avoid problems in the future

Do have a read around the RH forum, it could give you an idea what battles we have to face with health care providers who don't have the necessary knowledge to either diagnose or treat Hypoglycaemia.

There is a reason for low blood sugar levels and only tests can give you a proper diagnosis.

Best wishes
Thank you for your reply. I am glad you are also saying that blood testing is beneficial, it certainly makes sense to me. Shame the medic disagreed quite forcefully and managed to zap my confidence. I will use my monitor to inform my choices and hopefully help my health. I have a lot of homework to do!

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi I had a very similar experience with a practice nurse which really upset me. I stopped testing and went off and scoffed everything in sight.

It took me 18 months, I think, to go back the the GP surgery and only after they threatened to stop my blood pressure tablets. I then got a lecture because my HBA1C had gone up from 35 to 42.

This forum got me back to better times and is the best support I can find.

Before I was diagnosed I used have the shaky sweaty hypo feelings but did not have a meter. By gently reducing carbs they gradually have become rare with my premeal lows around 4.4.

Someone posted a link to a website about low carb diets causing a temporary rise in fasting bloods, I will see if I can find it.

Beebeelady

Oh goodness what an irresponsible nurse you have there Beebeelady. For her to repeat 3 times "You are not diabetic" was a stupid thing to say. If you had been a person that did not have any information on your health, you could of easily of thought "Right I am not diabetic so I will just eat small portions of everything" not realising that certain foods could give you sugar spikes and for you to actually become diabetic. What she should have done was concentrate on helping you not become diabetic. I read on other forums before this one that we as Prediabetic is to eat as if we were diabetic, that way we can reverse our sugar levels and have a much better chance of not becoming diabetic. Well, I am seeing my nurse for the first time on the 12th of July,boy is she in for a shock if she gets stroppy with me lol..I will never be rude but I will not take any nonsense either. This is our health and we are all trying to do our best and help ourselves conquer the high BG levels, it is only right that we should get good support from our surgery. Don't be too upset as it seem's like she caught you off guard and if she hadn't you probably would have explained more to the nurse. I am prepared as I have read other people's experiences with some of their nurses and doctors.
Thank you for your reply. It was a locum Doctor I saw ( the older Drs have all left the practice) and she had an attitude problem. I am normally quite assertive but you are right- she caught me off guard. I was expecting support for trying to help myself, rather than expecting the medics to do it all for me! She gave me not one jot of proper advice as to how to look after myself. No wonder so many people go on to become diabetics and suffer unnecessarily and cost the NHS loads of money. Prevention is always better than cure. Good luck for 12th July! Thank you for understanding.

Beebeelady

Hi I had a very similar experience with a practice nurse which really upset me. I stopped testing and went off and scoffed everything in sight.

It took me 18 months, I think, to go back the the GP surgery and only after they threatened to stop my blood pressure tablets. I then got a lecture because my HBA1C had gone up from 35 to 42.

This forum got me back to better times and is the best support I can find.

Before I was diagnosed I used have the shaky sweaty hypo feelings but did not have a meter. By gently reducing carbs they gradually have become rare with my premeal lows around 4.4.

Someone posted a link to a website about low carb diets causing a temporary rise in fasting bloods, I will see if I can find it.
Thank you for your comments. You obviously know how it made me feel! The Dr rubbished everything I said and the actions I had taken eg testing my blood sugar levels. I am sorry that the response you got stopped you from returning to the surgery, but I fully understand why! I feel I do not want to go back for more punishment and to be treated like a child. I am taking note of all the advice here and now have a lot of reading and learning to do. Thanks to everyone for the help and support.

Beebeelady

Hi Beebeelady, try to assimilate what you read and are told gradually. Give yourself time to think. Your symptoms sound similar to some of us who have Reactive Hypogyceamia but I'm no medic. You could try looking at the RH section of this site. best wishes Derek
Thank you for your reply. It is good advice and I will look at RH section.

Beebeelady

@Beebeelady

Hello and welcome to the Forum :) Here is the Basic Information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask as many questions as you want and someone will help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEW MEMBERS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you'll find well over 245,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.

There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:
  • Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes.

Over 145,000 people have taken part in the Low Carb Program - a free 10 week structured education course that is helping people lose weight and reduce medication dependency by explaining the science behind carbs, insulin and GI.

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips

The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic.

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

Take part in Diabetes.co.uk digital education programs and improve your understanding. They're all free.
  • Low Carb Program - it's made front-page news of the New Scientist and The Times. Developed with 20,000 people with type 2 diabetes; 96% of people who take part recommend it... find out why
  • Hypo Program - improve your understanding of hypos. There's a version for people with diabetes, parents/guardians of children with type 1, children
Lots of help and advic there, thank you Daisy. I will read it all.