This time of year, bread, T2 insulin response, ramble.

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
It is that time of year again.
Mince pies, Xmas pud, roasted potatoes and parsnips, visitors who eat bread, and all that sort of stuff.

Which leads to the "just a little once a year won't hurt" syndrome.

Consequences:

(1) I am putting weight on.

(2) My (TMI) bowel movements have changed. Less bungo. I assume that this is the limited amount of sourdough bread that I am eating.

Apart from noting the apparent effect of sourdough bread, and remembering that correlation does not imply causation, I have been contemplating the weight gain when I haven't been eating large amounts of anything.

Assuming that most of the gain is fat (and I see no reason that I would suddenly gain muscle) this does mean that I am producing enough insulin to get the glucose out of the blood and into fat. If I wasn't producing enough insulin I wouldn't gain weight and in extreme cases I would start to lose weight (not to be confused with a calorie restricted diet).

What I suspect is that I have a slow initial insulin response coupled with some remaining Insulin Resistance (IR).

Time to put another LIbre on, but previous Libres have tended to support this; initial high rise and then a steep drop 2-3 hours later.

I'm not sure what this is pointing to apart from not being tempted by Xmas carbohydrates, but I did wonder if it was worthwhile considering taking something to boost my initial insulin response. It would have to be fast acting. Apart from insulin, what else is there which won't knacker my pancreas or kidneys?

The weight gain when not eating massive amounts may tie in with the discussion in another thread about long term weight gain after rapid weight loss on a calorie restricted diet, which may be due to permanent(ish) metabolic changes during the period of semi-starvation. Such that you can gain weight when eating far less than you did before your weight reduction programme.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It is that time of year again.
Mince pies, Xmas pud, roasted potatoes and parsnips, visitors who eat bread, and all that sort of stuff.

Which leads to the "just a little once a year won't hurt" syndrome.

Consequences:

(1) I am putting weight on.

(2) My (TMI) bowel movements have changed. Less bungo. I assume that this is the limited amount of sourdough bread that I am eating.

Apart from noting the apparent effect of sourdough bread, and remembering that correlation does not imply causation, I have been contemplating the weight gain when I haven't been eating large amounts of anything.

Assuming that most of the gain is fat (and I see no reason that I would suddenly gain muscle) this does mean that I am producing enough insulin to get the glucose out of the blood and into fat. If I wasn't producing enough insulin I wouldn't gain weight and in extreme cases I would start to lose weight (not to be confused with a calorie restricted diet).

What I suspect is that I have a slow initial insulin response coupled with some remaining Insulin Resistance (IR).

Time to put another LIbre on, but previous Libres have tended to support this; initial high rise and then a steep drop 2-3 hours later.

I'm not sure what this is pointing to apart from not being tempted by Xmas carbohydrates, but I did wonder if it was worthwhile considering taking something to boost my initial insulin response. It would have to be fast acting. Apart from insulin, what else is there which won't knacker my pancreas or kidneys?

The weight gain when not eating massive amounts may tie in with the discussion in another thread about long term weight gain after rapid weight loss on a calorie restricted diet, which may be due to permanent(ish) metabolic changes during the period of semi-starvation. Such that you can gain weight when eating far less than you did before your weight reduction programme.
Could perhaps be water if you are now eating more carbs as we retain more water weight when we eat carbs. I well remember the initial stunning weight loss when I cut carbs. I was quite upset when I realised it wasn't all fat but mainly water.

I

Reactions: NicoleC1971

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I'd agree that more carbs = water retention but eventually you will lay down more fat if you are eating frequently ( i work in a health club and there are chocolates all over the place right now which results in frequent fly pasts for a nibble). Nor very much but every time you fire up your insulin response you are signalling to the body to lay down fat potentially but more importantly not to raid your fat stores. As Zoe Harcomeb says unless you want to be the size of a cow don't graze! Or graze and accept the collateral damage...
As to the insulin response, you body will be more sensitive and responsive if you can gain muscle. To nip a bg rise then the easiest method is probably to do a brisk post prandial walk or not to think in terms of quality, timing, quantity and company (eat with fat/protein to blunt the bg spike).

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Well it's my first Christmas as a diabetic. I've been feeling pretty low as our office is full of chocolates and lollies as presents from clients and we had our Christmas party and I sat drinking mineral water instead of cocktails:( -still had more of a rise than I would like even though I picked the best foods on theme.

I've insisted on a big change to our normal family Christmas dinner- I'm not sure how it will go having seafood instead of the n normal roast with our family desserts- steaming back to childhood. But I decided that I can't do anything but keep low carb. My decision is based on a couple of things including what I have read on this site The first reason is that any spike could be contributing to damaging the body. I really value my limbs and my sight so don't want to take risks. The second reason is that I've read a number of posts about the difficulty getting back on the low carb wagon once you've fallen off- I really don't need anything to be more difficult at the moment. The third reason is that my carb cravings have increased with all the food around- don't want them increasing even more if I have anything with more carbs in. The fourth reason is the keto flu- don't want to go through that again.

I appreciate that it is different for everyone and maybe when I've been on this journey a bit longer I may try stepping off for a while but not this year and probably not next year either.

Good luck to everyone on this site for this time of year.

Reactions: Lotties

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I appreciate that it is different for everyone and maybe when I've been on this journey a bit longer I may try stepping off for a while but not this year and probably not next year either
I won't be stepping off anytime soon either. Have been low carb/keto since April 2016 and now find that when I look at the sugary/carby stuff I used to love I now just think 'yuk - how did I ever eat that stuff'.

I never thought I would ever feel this way - but it does make surviving Christmas a lot easier than it was in the beginning. I used to say to myself 'what do I want to do - eat the cake or keep my eyesight or my my feet. The eyes and the feet always won.

@LittleGreyCat have you been very low calorie for a while - low enough to be in semi starvation mode?

LittleGreyCat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diet drinks - the artificial sweeteners taste vile.
Having to forswear foods I have loved all my life.
Trying to find low carb meals when eating out.
<snip>

@LittleGreyCat have you been very low calorie for a while - low enough to be in semi starvation mode?

I have been LCHF and OMAD for several years now and eating far less than I ever used to.
When I am strict my weight comes down slowly.
So I am not sure I have been VERY low calorie, but I have certainly been low calorie just through satiation plus short term fasting.
I am still being OMAD but the meals are getting a lot bigger.
I seem to have plateaued over the last few days, but my gain over December has been around half a stone.
At least I know that if I go hard line again it will all come off.