Those on lchf, does your blanket smell different from before you started?

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I did this research cos my blanket smell differently after T1
e2bf54ce17eec59cadd1697d97df2da9.jpg

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is not clear to me what it is you are asking here, @tinyfilosofer ?

The information you quoted is incomplete. Can you elaborate please.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My blanket smelled differently after I got a dog...

I found a miraculous cure.. It's called closing the bedroom door! ;)

Reactions: kimrooney89
D

Deleted member 308541

Smelly blankets are so retro, now smelly duvets, doonas, continental quilts etc are the go.

Wash the covers weekly to get bodily odours whatever out and your good to go.

Keep your dogs outside where they belong just like their ancestors did. :D

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Smelly blankets are so retro, now smelly duvets, doonas, continental quilts etc are the go.

I'm currently looking at the best deal prices on dirt cheap hotels for that dead fly in the sink & used blanket smell...

D

Deleted member 308541

the best deal prices on dirt cheap hotels for that dead fly in the sink & used blanket smell...
I knew a person online who worked in a rent a room by the hour motel / hotel in downtown Atlanta as a security man.

Smelly sheets as well as blankets. :meh:

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
thinks.... "Steadyhealth.com" might be wanting to sell something.....

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Back when I had my last dog he discovered how the handle worked. :/

What??? On the washing machine? :D

As an aside one of my dogs thinks our washing machine is a sort of kitchen telly and will always have a good peer through the door - particularly if it's actually on a washing cycle - maybe he can detect if any ketone flavoured bedding is going round and round...

lol so no-one following LCHF will ever hold down a job or have a long-term relationship? :hilarious:

Glad I'm retired then, @zand! - just one less diabetes related issue to stress over, and my doggies love me whatever my current flavour, as long as thy get food and cuddles, and a washing machine telly to watch. They actually think my diet is great - specially if I'm making something that involves fat or cream of any sort - stuff the ketones...

Robbity

PS Just a thought: Perhaps diabetic alert dogs should now also be trained to sniff out this new type of pongy ketone flavoured bedding too? :wideyed:

Reactions: zand

tinyfilosofer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
It is not clear to me what it is you are asking here, @tinyfilosofer ?

The information you quoted is incomplete. Can you elaborate please.

The articles says burning fat for food causes a different smell. My thinking is that the lchf people would know whether this is true. So just asking to verify what the article is claiming.

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your body goes into a state of ketosis and starts to burn body fat then this can result in an acetone smell (like nail polish remover) in your breath, sweat and urine.

Reactions: Freema

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If your body goes into a state of ketosis and starts to burn body fat then this can result in an acetone smell (like nail polish remover) in your breath, sweat and urine.
I agree. I didn't notice my bedding smelling though....

Reactions: Freema
A

Avocado Sevenfold

The articles says burning fat for food causes a different smell. My thinking is that the lchf people would know whether this is true. So just asking to verify what the article is claiming.
I don't think it's an article. It appears to me to me the ramblings a of an oddbod in the comments section of a website. It is not science based. The post ends with the warning that people with "type 4" should avoid Atkins as it is a "death sentence" for them :nailbiting:

The best way to know if you smell differently is to ask someone you trust in real life.

Reactions: kimrooney89

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I can think of more polite ways of asking the question than posting that particular rant...
But no so far as I know, and I know my dear hubby would say, I don't "smell" because I am a low carber. Just lighter , no sleep apnea, and more healthy...

Reactions: zand and Freema

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Thank you, @tinyfilosofer for clarifying your meaning.
As other posters have mentioned, a diet high in fat can cause ketosis. The ketones produced do sometimes cause a different smell, often noticed on the breath, an acetone smell. Less noticable if the person drinks plenty of water to stay well hydrated.

As for odours in sweat, and smelly bedclothes, I think others have already answered, that regular laundring of bedding and clothes, and attention to personal hygiene, would eliminate any problem. This is, of course, the same for anyone, not just those in ketosis.

Although the wording of your post, and the title and content, had the potential to cause offence, I think those responding should be commended for their light hearted comments.

Maybe this topic can now be put to bed?;)

Reactions: Ultramum and zand