Thoughts on Pre Diabetes

DaPa

In Nov' 2016 I had an HbA1c 45.
July 2017 HbA1c 40.
July 2020 HbA1c 41
April 2021 HbA1c 48
June 2021 HbA1c 39

So, I have turned these figures over just by healthy eating, I would assume that anybody who leads an unhealthy lifestyle would be at risk.

To add in 2016 I was 48 so maybe it was also age-related, not sure on that one.

What are people's thoughts on this?

Regards.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
July 2017 HbA1c 40.
July 2020 HbA1c 41
April 2021 HbA1c 48
June 2021 HbA1c 39

So, I have turned these figures over just by healthy eating, I would assume that anybody who leads an unhealthy lifestyle would be at risk.

Regards.
Well done in turning around
T2 causes can be a combination of factors in my opinion. Genetics does appear to play a role. Being overweight, or at least having visceral fat around cwrtian organs also seems a factor

It is not so simple to say to unhealthy diet is a direct cause as there are some who eat badly and never develop, some do. Also depends what you class as unhealthy,as for those who have this potential genetic disposition find carbs impact them to a point of triggering diabetes

Plus I was only just into my 30s and there are a few on this forum who are younger. News articles are finding school children too in some cases but historically yes it has been seen in the older population, I don't read enough studies to know if these are causes found

So... It's complicated is my opinion

Reactions: jjraak

DanW13

July 2017 HbA1c 40.
July 2020 HbA1c 41
April 2021 HbA1c 48
June 2021 HbA1c 39

Regards.

Any particular reason for the sharp increase between July20 & April 21 you can think of?

DaPa

I am pretty sure it was my really unhealthy diet, I was consuming multiple packets of biscuit, kit kats, chocolate, bread and large amounts of porridge.

I also had my step daughter move in with her 6 year old while she waited for her house (she still here).

Sept 2020 my A1c was 46, just by intermittent fasting on weekdays (skipping breakfast) by May 2021 I'd lost 4Kg and A1c was down to 41. I was still eating carbs etc but my weight loss had leveled off. Then I started the Michael Moseley 800 diet (Low Carb High Fat) and began losing weight again. FBG is now in the normal range with my blood pressure reducing as well as a bonus. I have a family history of hypertension and T2 diabetes, I didn't want to end up that way, so I had to do something about it. I think I'm lucky that I started early enough to make a difference. LCHF is definitely the way to go IMO if you need to keep blood sugar under control. The NHS recommended diabetes prevention programme is outdated and will probably do you more harm than good as far as I can tell. I'm 54.​

DaPa

UPDATE:

Since my low carb diet start in May '21 which I have managed to maintain I have lost a total of 48lb, I am definately going in the right direction
upload_2022-3-6_8-25-36.gif
:)

I am due a HbA1c on Wednesday 9th March.

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
What a great success! You have done a sterling job. Onward and upward!

I hope your medical team is suitably impressed and supportive, but even if they aren't, we are.

Reactions: Rocinante

basten60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My Habc1 in November was 41. End Feb still 41. I am pre she said. But I have eaten some cake xmas loads and been bad but now no bread. I have lost a stone half but still pre. I have histsmine issues too and gastritis and hypertension. High cholesterol. I now eat one meal a day but the other day I ate a muffin with tea went all dizzy and heart palpitations. Yesterday son came and I sneaked 5 biscuits and felt asleep. Today I stupidly ate 2 doughnuts ...havent done this in well over a year...promptly fell asleep for hr and half. My sugars waking are 7.0. Now I'm in pain and sneezing etc. I've no idea what going on. I've come also off 2 neds that make me react to food and waiting a test for gastric emptying. I hardly pee all day as very bunged up too told gp but just increase laxatives. I have slow bowel transit. After eating these cream doughnuts my heart palpitations started then fell asleep dreaming. This used to happen years ago but stopped. I dont know if this is pre diabetis .I onky go to wee in night more yes if eaten sugar stuff but never in the day..a.n. or before bed. As im digesting too ny ears will hiss all the time ny sugars drop more. When I came off a med this started and ny bp went up but told gp all my issues and she not bothered just said its withdrawals .

basten60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Sept 2020 my A1c was 46, just by intermittent fasting on weekdays (skipping breakfast) by May 2021 I'd lost 4Kg and A1c was down to 41. I was still eating carbs etc but my weight loss had leveled off. Then I started the Michael Moseley 800 diet (Low Carb High Fat) and began losing weight again. FBG is now in the normal range with my blood pressure reducing as well as a bonus. I have a family history of hypertension and T2 diabetes, I didn't want to end up that way, so I had to do something about it. I think I'm lucky that I started early enough to make a difference. LCHF is definitely the way to go IMO if you need to keep blood sugar under control. The NHS recommended diabetes prevention programme is outdated and will probably do you more harm than good as far as I can tell. I'm 54.​

basten60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have his book. Well done. I have hypertension high cholesterol pre diabetis. It's a shame as I cant do fats as causes lot of pain and sits in stomach long time. I've no idea what's going on with me. I have gastritis and bowels backed up gas a lot. I'm hoping soon for a gastric eating test as g.i. said could be gastroparesis. I've eaten **** on off and trying to stop. I cant eat cereal bread now..pain. and now have histsmine issues. I am trying to sto anything sugar and processes bad too. I'm in a right mess and no g.p help. I've come off 2 meds that I have had withdrawals issues bad since august. Still on one.
His book is good. I have hypertension high cholesterol and pre so that's a bad thing. Now not peeing all day as constipation bad..nothing shifting hardly just gas. And wee night or waking or before bed. Told gp but he said as long as I do wee and prob const causing it just increase laxatives but call 111 of abdo bloats pain .. ..I so wish I could follow Moseleys book. I have lost stone half but my hbac1 still 41.

DaPa

UPDATE:

Since my low carb diet start in May '21 which I have managed to maintain I have lost a total of 53lb, I am definately going in the right direction
upload_2022-3-6_8-25-36-gif.53660
:)

My HbA1c taken 23/05/22 is 35 mmol/ml.

Reactions: finzi1966

DaPa

I have been thinking about my situation.

In 2015 I was 45mmol, pre-diabetes.

Over the next few years I was in remission and then in 2021 was 48mmol, the bottom of diabetes.

My last two were 39 and 35 mmol (I worked at this and lost 4 stone)

If I lead my previous lifestyle I could easily slip back into it, what are people's thoughts on this?

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

Over the next few years I was in remission and then in 2021 was 48mmol, the bottom of diabetes.

If I lead my previous lifestyle I could easily slip back into it, what are people's thoughts on this?
It’s not something anyone could know for sure but I know for myself, if I eat the wrong things it does impact my levels so I see remission rather than reversal

DanW13

That’s amazing well done! Are you still losing weight or weight stable now?