Thoughts on Veganism?

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
Oddly, my mum (non diabetic.) was a vegetarian for over 30 years. Infact for a number of years she went full on vegan. Purely on principle. I respected her choice & suported her cause..
She was a non smoker, didn't drink, active. 5 years ago diagnosed with Alziemers.. Her lifestyle "officially" didn't fit the profile..

I noticed a few things "wrong," but one that stood out was she started eating meat..
There have been autopsies done on Altzimer patient brains & there has been a discovery of " insulin resistance" in the brain..(I believe they dubbed it "type 3?)
Since her more varied diet, her condition hasn't progressed... I just wish she could cut the carbs back a little more.

Don't get me wrong, I respect all personal choices..

From what I've read (regarding my mum.) in the long term, was it well thought out....?
Our mother is physically well for her age. & cared for in a family environment by her family.
I respect choices & would never disparage. Personally? My "jury" is out on plant & grain diets..

Sorry guys! (I sort of almost lost someone I knew.)
To be fair, it's possible to have a low carb vegan diet. However, I don't believe that would be healthier than a low carb diet with meat in it.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To be fair, it's possible to have a low carb vegan diet. However, I don't believe that would be healthier than a low carb diet with meat in it.

For my condition a small amount of carbs do act as an "anchor" for what I need to bolus for with the protein...
Regarding my mother? When/if the "quality" of longjevity alters. Be prepared for a change in principle if it does...