Threatened with going onto insulin?

Keith9534

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I`m so confused.

After my latest results I was summoned to the practice diabetes nurse. She says that "they" need to do something quick so have put me on a Sulhranurea as well as my metformin.

I know somethings not right as I have lost over a stone and spend most nights going to the toilet followed by a massive thirst. Iv`e been T2 for about 4 years and am 45 years old. The practice nurse says I`m too young for insulin...........however the doctor summoned me to see him ( and before that apointment I had to go in about the rash I have around my ear ) and all he could talk about was how the nurse was wrong and insulin was the only way forward?

Is there anything to fear about going onto insulin at my age?

Iv`e read so many threads recently that I`m still confused about the right things.......

delmcp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Keith I am also 45 and started on insulin in February. Everyone is different but it has changed my life around with regards to my health and my BGL. I was wrongly diagnosed as a type 2 in Nov 14, it took 15 months to be refered to the Diabetic clinic by my GP.

LincolnLizzie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I went on to insulin earlier this year and it has helped even things out. I wonder if you are testing and so know what your blood sugar is at various times of the day? That really is pivotal to getting to grips with diabetes.

I am a couple of decades older than you, but reading other younger posters on the forum, insulin seems to suit most and if you get your blood sugar under control, that is far more important than which particular med you have.

Go with it. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using DCUK Forum mobile app

Reactions: 2 people

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I am 52 and should have been on it years ago. Age does NOT matter, pancreatic function and blood sugars matter. That is what dictates when and if insulin is needed. Im so tired of Drs letting diabetics run with high bs, taxing their pancreas etc because of age or their not obese or whatever their reasons. If the pancreas isn't functioning and pills don't work, then insulin it is. Insulin saved my health as well as my life ....

Reactions: 2 people

Keith9534

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you for all the above.

I have a meter and test according to the instructions I got from the diabetes nurse - "Every so often". From what I have read this is worthless!

I was put on Forxiga due to having an HGV licence but that gave me neck cramps so I stopped taking it.

I just don`t understand why they seem reluctant to put me on Insulin if its what I need?