thyroid problems and borderline( 6.7) diabetic

Babs51

Please help me with my delema. Reciently diagnosed borderline diabetic and thyroid problems. Diabetic sugar tolerence test, hospital 6.7. Also on thyroxatine first of all 25mgs then 50 ,last week up to 75mgs. I have been trying to loose weight for years, to no avail. I am reading all the
nformation on low carbs and feel i should be doing more. Please advise. Many thanks Babs
Please could anybody tell me if thyroid and diabetis may be linked. I have had severe depression for ten years, currently ok but on antidepressants permently.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Both Diabetes and low thyroid can make you feel "down"
Low carb is about the best way to get the diabetes under control and get some weight off. I have a sluggish thyroid, but in my PcT area, it would have to be worse before they would treat it. So in a funny sort of way, you are lucky.
One endocrine system being faulty predisposes you to others.

jopar

One of the symptons of underactive thyroid is weight gain, along with feeling the cold very easily, tiredness, and feeling of being low and sugglish...

So hopefully when they got your thyroid sorted it will be much easier to loose weight...

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya and welcome,
i too have an underactive thyroid and im diabetic type 1, ive had the thyroid trouble since i was 21 and diabetes since 33, i too suffer from depression at times, if youve anymore questions just ask and happy new year :D

Trinkwasser

Depression, particularly "treatment resistant" depression, is often a symptom of hypothyroid, as is diabetes, and weight gain, so I'd be pushing to get your thyroid back into normal range ASAP as this may have a good impact on all your other conditions.

Some doctors are very unwilling to diagnose or effectively treat hypothyroid and I've met a few people who suddenly improved a lot after moving to an area where it *was* effectively treated.

goji

Hi Babs

Welcome to the forum. There is a link between diabetes and thyroid disease. I've got both. Hopefully once you get your thyroid sorted out, you will start to see some weight loss, which in turn will help with the sugars.

Low carb is definitely the way to go. I've lost a fair bit while low carbing and I wasn't even overweight to begin with. There's loads of advice on low carbing on this site.

Thyroid disease is notorious for causing depression. Hopefully when you get your dosage at the right level for you, your depression might ease up a bit. There is a good forum for thyroid issues where people can advise you about the extra things that doctors don't bother to check for (eg. B12) that can also cause you hypothyroid-like symptoms:

http://thyroid-disease.org.uk/index.php ... &Itemid=92

take care
Goji x

Trinkwasser

goji said:
Thyroid disease is notorious for causing depression. Hopefully when you get your dosage at the right level for you, your depression might ease up a bit. There is a good forum for thyroid issues where people can advise you about the extra things that doctors don't bother to check for (eg. B12) that can also cause you hypothyroid-like symptoms:

http://thyroid-disease.org.uk/index.php ... &Itemid=92

take care
Goji x

Good point, B12 is often depleted by Metformin so that's well worth keeping an eye on.

Also selenium is involved in the T3 - T4 conversion and may be deficient in many parts of the country, a hypothyroid friend was recommended to eat at least one brazil nut a day

Babs51

Many thanks for your posts. I will continue to read this site and all your posts.
THANK YOU ALL. A HEALTHY AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

marlina

Why would a doctor make a teen get a thyroid ultrasound? What thyroid conditions are there?
The doctor believes that a 17 year old has a lump in her throat. What could show up in an ultrasound? What conditions result from thyroid problems?

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hi there ,sometimes you can get a goitre on your thyroid gland which is in the neck so they will be looking for this i would imagine, when i was hyperthyroid my neck was larger so i did have an ultrasound,
there is an underactive- hypothyroidism and overactive-hyperthyroidism, post partum thyroiditis- after giving birth(i started with this) and other disorders which can cause this,
try not to worry as thyroid disorder is easily managed once diagnosed, i have had all the above since i was 19, if u need to know anything else plz ask :D