Thyroid Problems.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Because my Hashimoto's thyroid is not being treated by the NHS I am treating myself by taking T3 with GPs knowledge. I am paying for my own blood tests and the last one came back that I was not taking enough Levothyroxine. The only appointment I could get with the GP was a month away and this is a telephone one. My BG levels for the last few weeks have been 6 bu not going above 7 and I feel terrible. I have searched in vain for any signs that not taking enough Levo will raise BG levels but I haven't been able to find anything.
Can anybody help with any information.

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Fellow thyroid patient here @carol43 but I'm really sorry, I don't know.

I'm still in the throes of a meds tweak and am running slightly hyperthyroid right now, but in afraid I haven't noticed a change in my BG - that's not to say that there isn't an effect, though.

Sending love.

:)

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I've had no change to my bgs by reducing to 175mg levothyroxine from 200mg due to being 0.36 over in my last blood test via cardiology for palpatations keeping me awake at night and day.
However I've stopped losing weight. I was losing on that little bit extra (I think).
If your blood test is saying low, are you able to increase yourself since your self managing your thyroid care? Is it hugely low? As that can be damaging. Make an emergency gp appointment, if that is the case.
Don't suffer hypothyroidism symptoms, when you don't have to. Very demotivating in your overall health care.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Totto
My test results:-
TSH ........0.22 (0.27-4.20)
T4 total...125.1 (64.5-142.0)
Free T4....21.34 (12-22)
Free T3.....4.59 (3.1-6.8)
So I only need a small increase in TSH but have only 100mcg tablets.

Still can't understand why my BG has gone up because I am not eating anything different.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@Totto
Free T4....21.34 (12-22)

Still can't understand why my BG has gone up because I am not eating anything different.
The worry of it all hun may be raising your bgs? Try and relax. Luckily you can see your gp soon to have an adjustment.
When are you booked to see gp, again?

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Totto
Free T4....21.34 (12-22)

Hi again @carol43 , thanks for posting the results. I don't know about Levothyroxine dose vs BG levels, but I do know a little about the relationship between TSH and free T4.

Firstly I'm not medically qualified, secondly I have no idea about total T4 or free T3, but I'm assuming that as you're taking T3, the T3 must be a significant one for you.

Just explaining my own situation, though, and what I've learned from it, the two tests I have for my thyroid function are TSH and free T4.

My last TSH result was similar to yours (in the 0.2s but can't remember precise figure), and my free T4 was 24.

I know that for me to be 'right', my TSH needs to be on the low side (ie so that my pituitary is not pumping out loads of Thyroid Stimulating Hormone to tell my body that I need more Levothyroxine) and my T4 needs to be on the upper end of the scale (22 is about right for me - my last two tests were 28 and 24).

My own dose of Levo needs reducing further rather than increasing, given my TSH and T4 results. If my TSH is lower than the ideal range AND my T4 is at the high end, the last thing my body would need is more Levothyroxine.

As I say, I don't know about T3 or total T4, but that's what my own TSH and T4 results mean for me.

:)

Reactions: himtoo

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Totto
Free T4....21.34 (12-22)

Carty, do you use any thyroid support groups/fora? There are lots of people over on this site https://healthunlocked.com/thyroiduk/posts who are similarly placed to you in that they effectively self-medicate.

A bit like here, there appear to be some very knowledgeable people who may help with both your meds query, but also interpreting your results.

Could your current concerns be causing your increased bloods?

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@ickihun I have taken advice from HealthUnlocked and am following the advice given. My appointment is on 18th so not long to wait now. I just wish I could find some scientific research as to why my BG are so high, even my vision is being affected now. Some people with diabetes would be happy with my 6's (my friend is never below 10) but I am not. I want to get back to my lower figures.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Carol, never mind about TSH, it's a useless test to begin with. You may want to try and raise your FT3 a bit. FT3 is the important hormone that does the work.
I didn't do very well on levothyroxine but found NDT did the trick. My TSH is too low to be accurately measured but I keep FT3 in the upper part of the range and this works for me.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Totto Thank you. I have been taking only 1/2 tablet of T3 so far perhaps I should increase it to 1 tablet.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do it slowly. Do you multi-dose, it's a sensible thing to do.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Something like that. Or two thirds in the morning. People react differently so you'll have to find out what works best for you. However, T3 is very potent so be careful.
I can recommend Stop the thyroid madness, sttm.com.

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Totto Are there any side effects from taking T3 that I should know about?

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A good rule is to up the dose slowly and to multi dose with the main part in the morning. Some people take it three times a day. You don't want to take too much as this can cause atrial fibrillation.

What you can do in order to check if your thyroid level is good or not is to take you temperature on waking and keeping check on your BP and resting pulse. If these are high you need to lower the dose, if they are low you might want to raise it.

A diary can be useful and it doesn't need to be complicated, only your main symptoms on a scale 1-10, temperature etc and current dose.

Found a link you might find useful: https://stopthethyroidmadness.com/dosing-with-t3-only/

carol43

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Totto I have noticed that since I have been taking T3 my blood pressure has risen, sometimes over 161/72 so perhaps I should not be taking it.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
@carol43 if its any help I've had same trouble just on levothyroxine. On 5mg of betablocker now due to severe palpatations. Endo has me on the perfect level now, I hope.
I'd read everything @Totto has recommended and see if gp will prescribe a change. (Does he still prescribe even though self managed?)

Snapsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Bad luck with the palpitations @ickihun - hope you're doing okay. Running high (on Levo) turns me into (among other things) a shouty nightmare with a very fast pulse - I'm coming down now but I've been asked to not lower my dose any more yet as I need two 'normal' tests first. I know I could but thanks to my husband being a saint we have decided to cope with my being still rather out of sorts, and to follow their recommendations.

#watchthisspace

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Personally I have no experience of T3 but Levo didn't do much for me.

NDT, however, works fine. I keep my FT3 in the upper part of the range but not above while TSH is very low indeed.