Ti, the ultra fussy likes the fergus bread

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
My husband T1 for most of his life Is the cross I bear, because he won't do it right( then I get to pick up the pieces). He usually insists on buying and eating white bread.
I went looking for him this evening in the kitchen an found him at the table eating Chese and onion sandwiches made from my Perfect Fergus loaf. Doorsteps of course. I eat such genteel slices. I just hope he's left me enough for toast for breakfast tomorrow. I'm looking forward to it.
Also I've ordered mor e ingrdients and can't bake another loaf till they arrive. That gluten is so hard to find.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
It's on the forum in the food forum section. I have changed it a little by using Fresh yeast and proving( raising) it twice. I makes a lighter loaf. I also start the baking in a HOT oven for 10 minutes. Following the usual method for conventional bread.
Everything but the gluten is stocked by Holland and Barrett. the gluten is Only available on-line. There are a couple of places. I can't remember names at the moment, but you can search.
Hope that helps
Hana

broads

Hanadr, I notice that you have ordered some ingredients for The Loaf and are awaiting their arrival, can I ask where you order them from?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
I only ordere the gluten from eBay. Everything else I got at Holand and Barrett.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
PS. I already knew that Tesco's will give you live yeast if you go to their in-store bakery and ask. You don't get charged.

broads

Thank you all for such responce in a few seconds. Will have a look round tomorrow and go shopping.

Orchid

Hi

I have been looking for it for ages on the food forum, I found it once and have never found it since. When I type in the search "Fergus Bread" something like 1394 posts and 93 pages of threads come up. Can anyone help me?

Orchid

broads

Copied and pasted into a word document a while ago. Here it is.

Sorry folks, I've had to delete it! fergus

broads

You' very welcome. I haven't tried it yet. i am still trying to understand why you need, what appears to me, so many 'unusual' ingredients to replace wheat flour. Hopefully I will get to grips with it all sometime.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
Hi broads.
the ingredients work out at about what you get if you remove the starch from normal wheat flour. i.e. the bran and the gluten. Most mass baked bread contains soya flour too.
Mine, now I've learned how to do it, looks and tastes like normal wholemeal bread. It toasts well too.I have found other low carb bread recipes, which are very eggy and taste like cake.

Jo123

Just ordered the wheat gluten, I am thinking of trying it in my breadmaker, anyone more knowledgeable than me think of a reason why it wouldn't work in a breadmaker?