1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Tickleflex

Discussion in 'Insulin' started by Trinakt, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Trinakt

Trinakt · Newbie

Hi. My daughter has recently been diagnosed with type 1. She has a phobia of needles so I bought her a tickleflex. The problem now is that some of the insulin is leaking and we don't know how much is being lost.
    Has anyone else had this problem?

2. Trinakt

Trinakt · Newbie

Thank you x

• Like Like x 1
  3. Libby3781

Libby3781 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I use the TickleFlex when injecting. After administering I leave the needle inserted for 30 seconds before removing.

However, I do find that the needle tends to have a tiny drop of insulin still on it.

I inject 16 units, and based on my following readings afterwards they implied that all of the dosage is received.

If you are finding after the insulin has been administered there is a tiny amount left on the needle, I wouldn’t stress to much. When you then do you’re daughters blood glucose reading afterwards the reading should indicate that most of insulin has been received.

4. TashT1

TashT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was just wondering how people were getting on with the TickleFlex?

After 2 weeks of injecting I’m finding it is becoming a really stressful experience. I went looking on YouTube to make sure I’m doing it correctly and came across this device.

What’s your experience? @Libby3781 and @Trinakt

5. porl69

porl69 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hi @TashT1 you may want to start a new thread on this as the 2 people who posted have not been on the forum for a long while

6. Libby3781

Hi Tash,

I’ve had a mixed experience with the TickleFlex. Initially I got on well, then I seemed to have a hit & miss stage. Sometimes getting the full injection amount other times, only half the dose.

What size injections you using? I used 3mm. Maybe you need a larger or smaller needle.
    Try not to think to much as you do it, I know that probably sounds silly. I found the more I thought beforehand the harder it became to do.

Now, I alternate between the TickleFlex & the Iport.

I can only inject using the devices, unfortunately there’s no way I can inject without. Find it impossible to administer insulin otherwise.

7. TashT1

TashT1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Hey thanks for your thoughts.

I’m using 4mm needles, sometimes it’s great and I don’t feel a thing, other times I find the Lantus really burns & it’s quite a high does I think at 28 units.

Maybe I am over thinking it but after 4 kids I’ve got a lot of stretch marks to dodge on my stomach. But I’m considering trying to inject into my thighs, but that seems daunting too.

How do you gage whether your getting the full dose or not?

8. Libby3781

Hi Tash,

The way I’ve gaged whether I’ve had my full dose or not is whether I’ve had insulin running down my clothes. As I’ve administered.

Maybe a smaller needle may help. When you administer do you press down fully so the grippers turn in?

I’ve personally found the TickleFlex more painful when I’ve used a larger needle.
    Like I said, I use 3mm for the TickleFlex & for the iport I use 6mm, on the odd occasion I’ve used the 6mm instead with the TickleFlex.

9. gto19660

gto19660 · Member

Hi and how are you doing I hope everything's going well. I just wanted to add that I to take Lantus at night and I use a 6 mm needle on my Flex pen. My regular dose is 38 units and sometimes I feel a little bit of burning so I think that's normal hope you found this helpful

10. JMK1954

JMK1954 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Lantus is known to be quite acidic, which is probably the cause of the burning sensation. I occasionally found this pretty dreadful for a few minutes. I found the answer is to inject into an area with more fat, so I now use my thighs for Lantus, which works fine.

11. eshobabu

eshobabu · Well-Known Member

I seem to have the same problem.

Can you please advise what did you do ? Am I doing it wrong? My problem is my daughter only needs 0.5 to 1 unit, and even a little mistake means she is getting no insulin.

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook