Time difference Europe- America and insulin

Deppy Yo

Hi all,

I will be flying soon from Greece to America. I will be staying for approx 17 days. Any advise on how to deal with the Tresiba due to the time difference the first and the last day? I usually inject before I sleep.

Thanks in advance for any advise.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all,

I will be flying soon from Greece to America. I will be staying for approx 17 days. Any advise on how to deal with the Tresiba due to the time difference the first and the last day? I usually inject before I sleep.

Thanks in advance for any advise.
Tresiba is quite forgiving when taken at different times.
I take mine before bed, which means anywhere between 11PM and 5AM, so a 7 hour window.

If I traveled to America, I think I would try to remember to take it a bit earlier for a couple of days, like at dinner, but would switch to bedtime after a day or two.

Reactions: EllieM

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I think you have a choice
- continue to take your basal every 24 hours. This will be 7 hours earlier than usual in the US time zone. I have done this for short trips but needed to set an alarm to remind myself.
- slowly move the time an hour or two each day - take it 22 or 26 hours apart until you are taking it in US time. This is the approach I have taken for longer trips. You then have to move your basal time slowly back again when you get home.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
- slowly move the time an hour or two each day - take it 22 or 26 hours apart until you are taking it in US time. This is the approach I have taken for longer trips. You then have to move your basal time slowly back again when you get home.
I agree if the basal is Lantus or Levemir.
My experience with Tresiba, confirmed by the information in the leaflet, is that on Tresiba there is a lot more room for varying the timing of your basal injections.

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Originally, I took Tresiba before bedtime, but about 6 months ago I switched to before breakfast. Nothing happened. My Tresiba dosage is 40 units per day.