time for phase 2 the diet!!

janeage

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HI Everyone
I'm looking for some guidance please on the whole LCHF diet plan.

I was diagnosed back in april with steroid induced type 2 diabetes due to the amount of medication i take for my asthma. My HBa1C test levels were 48, so not completely off the scale but not normal!

Since then i've done some research, got some help on here (thanks ), cut out the main carb culprits bread, rice pasta, oats, and i've started to do some exercise. I've managed to get my results down to 38 which i'm really happy with. A recent hospital spell for my breathing meant i was having my glucose levels checked a couple of times a day which isn't something i've done yet. However, at a post discharge appointment I was given a Blood glucose monitor to keep tabs myself due to the fluctuating steriod doses. So this has been my first week monitoring and seem to be ok, between 4.3 lowest and 7.9 highest (post food), I've only had one measurement out of range at 9.7 after a meal out with wine, so i'm not overly concerned about a one off. I've only been testing once a day at random times though.

The thing is, (sorry I'm rambling) i'm about 4 stone overweight which is the next thing i want to tackle. I've kind of started low carb as a default of cutting out the main groups, and as a result have about 85-90g a day, but i don't measure/monitor this strictly so far and only lost about 6lb in the 3 months. I want to get weight down and quickly and am thinking of going hard core for a couple of weeks at 20g then settling around 50g to make it manageable. if i'm too strict for too long i might fall off the wagon, also i want to start trying to conceive soon so its got to be ok with those plans as well. (another reason to get my glucose levels under tight control! )

Is this a totally wrong way of going about it? will i lose weight at 20 then put back on at 50? or do people find they can still lose at 50? i want what i'm doing diet wise to be effective, quick if possible, but also safe. I wouldn't want to discover i was pregnant then panic and change diets and undo all good work ! or risk the potential baby's health. Its a hell of a lot to think about and as always i'm trying to do more than one thing at once!

Daffodils1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi there, I went down to 50 and lost weight, around 3 stone in 6 months. I'm still on 50 but wondering about now increasing, just to eat more veg and fruit to get vitamins etc down me. Sure your wise to consider all of this in context of trying for a baby and so wanting to eat nutritiously. Sorry not to be more help....any research out there on low carbing and conceiving etc .....

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm afraid that your questions are unanswerable.
It's a case of trying LCHF and seeing what works for you.
Some people find the weight falls off them at 50-80g carbs a day.
Others (me) need to be below 20g carbs a day.
Some lose weight faster the more fat they eat.
Others calorie count too.

I think your plan to go strict then increase sounds workable, and if would expect it to do what you want. The New Atkins offers a very workable plan for this, if you like structure. And you can always fine tune your fat intake to your personal requirements.

Is there any chance that you diabetes and weight may improve dramatically if you manage to get off the steroids at some point in the future?

Good luck.
I'd love to hear how you get on. :)

janeage

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm afraid that your questions are unanswerable.
It's a case of trying LCHF and seeing what works for you.
Some people find the weight falls off them at 50-80g carbs a day.
Others (me) need to be below 20g carbs a day.
Some lose weight faster the more fat they eat.
Others calorie count too.

I think your plan to go strict then increase sounds workable, and if would expect it to do what you want. The New Atkins offers a very workable plan for this, if you like structure. And you can always fine tune your fat intake to your personal requirements.

Is there any chance that you diabetes and weight may improve dramatically if you manage to get off the steroids at some point in the future?

Good luck.
I'd love to hear how you get on. :)

Thanks for the reply and i understand when you say its unanswerable, I suppose I was just sounding it out to see if it was a possible plan. I've bought the new atkins book and today is the first day trying at 20g, i'l give it a whirl like you say see what works for me, only trying will tell. Unfortunately i'm steroid dependent so won't be able to come off which is why i've got to find a solution that works, including the steroids. joy!! Thanks again

Reactions: 2 people

janeage

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi there, I went down to 50 and lost weight, around 3 stone in 6 months. I'm still on 50 but wondering about now increasing, just to eat more veg and fruit to get vitamins etc down me. Sure your wise to consider all of this in context of trying for a baby and so wanting to eat nutritiously. Sorry not to be more help....any research out there on low carbing and conceiving etc .....

Hi Daffodils, thanks for the reply, its good to know that some people can lose on a higher level, i'm trying at 20 and will see what happens. I need to do a lot more research before I get pregnant, losing some weight and stabilizing my sugars is a good place to start.

Reactions: 2 people

vintageutopia

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree with everyone else, but I would suggest starting at 50 grams/day and see how your body tolerates it. If you do not lose, you can always drop it again to 20-30 grams.

If you can eat more (healthy) carbs while maintaining blood sugar control and weight loss, why wouldn't you? ;) I would love to be able to eat a bowl of berries every day.

janeage

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agree with everyone else, but I would suggest starting at 50 grams/day and see how your body tolerates it. If you do not lose, you can always drop it again to 20-30 grams.

If you can eat more (healthy) carbs while maintaining blood sugar control and weight loss, why wouldn't you? ;) I would love to be able to eat a bowl of berries every day.

Hi There, i guess its a bit of experimentation, try a few different levels and see what works, but i agree i would rather eat more healthy carbs and still get the wins of sugar control and the weight loss, Going to give it a whirl and see what happens. Thanks