Timing for new glasses

Happyhomelands

My trigger for checking glucose and blood pressure in December was sore eyeballs and dreadful night vision with deteriation in day vision. I'd bought new glasses in September but assumed they were poor because I kept taking them off to see.
I now think that my problem was due to the effects of changing glucose levels on the refraction of my lenses. My levels have been 4 5 6 ish for a month now. Is it too soon for an up to date test and new lenses?

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
Yep, until it returns to normal. Budget comes into it but I'd (personally) wait another month or two.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I agree with with Mike D. I waited a few months even though I suffered no change in my sight just to be on the safe side. I told the optician that I had been diagnosed and he told me that if I had a problem with my new glasses that it wouldn't be a problem to get the lens/s changed at no cost to me. So, when you go remember to tell them of your diagnosis.

Reactions: Happyhomelands

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My trigger for checking glucose and blood pressure in December was sore eyeballs and dreadful night vision with deteriation in day vision. I'd bought new glasses in September but assumed they were poor because I kept taking them off to see.
I now think that my problem was due to the effects of changing glucose levels on the refraction of my lenses. My levels have been 4 5 6 ish for a month now. Is it too soon for an up to date test and new lenses?

Nobody can tell you that. It could be, but some people find their vision improves over the longer term too.

If you have your free NHS eye test, then need another in a few months, you would be liable to pay, unless your prescription had changed, according to the rules.

Maybe an informal chat with your optometrist could help?

Reactions: Happyhomelands

Happyhomelands

I agree with with Mike D. I waited a few months even though I suffered no change in my sight just to be on the safe side. I told the optician that I had been diagnosed and he told me that if I had a problem with my new glasses that it wouldn't be a problem to get the lens/s changed at no cost to me. So, when you go remember to tell them of your diagnosis.
Thanks good advice. Ill get the test and probably make do for a while longer. Hopefully the optition will be diabetes aware and also able to advise.

Reactions: Guzzler

Happyhomelands

Nobody can tell you that. It could be, but some people find their vision improves over the longer term too.

If you have your free NHS eye test, then need another in a few months, you would be liable to pay, unless your prescription had changed, according to the rules.

Maybe an informal chat with your optometrist could help?
Yes I'm booked to go tomorrow. I mostly want to ensure that I'm safe to drive. My observation is that I am, but I prefer to check.