1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Tingling and Cold Hands & Feet

Discussion in 'Diabetes Complications' started by not-so-lucky, Apr 25, 2017.

1. not-so-lucky

not-so-lucky Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

I was wondering if there are any home remedies that people have tried and tested for tingling in their hands and feet? - I've noticed it coming on more and more recently and particlarly when I'm laid in bed at night, to the point where on occasion I'm having trouble getting to sleep.

I already have Retinopathy and Kidney problems on top of depression and this is kicking me in the guts too now (huff)

Any help would be gratefully recieved

• Hug Hug x 3
  2. Art Of Flowers

Art Of Flowers I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Alpha Lipoic Acid and vitamin B12 is what many people take to help with symptoms of neuropathy.

How are your blood sugar levels? Keeping them as low as possible helps.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. not-so-lucky

My average at the moment is around 7mmol (generally) I was high for a long time and now coming back down to earth and not letting it ever get above 12 anymore - which is one relief, just annoyed I've developed complications along the way through not paying enough attention earlier in the diseases progress - HeyHo n' all that; keeping on battling

• Like Like x 1
  4. walnut_face

walnut_face Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Alpha lipoic acid certainly helped me. The pins and needles in my left arm that I had for nine months lifted a week into taking them. I have @ickihun to thank for that

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Art Of Flowers

Art Of Flowers I reversed my Type 2 · Well-Known Member

A low carb diet will help. You can buy Alpha Lipoic Acid tables on Amazon. People take up to 600 Mg daily. It does reduce blood sugars, so you need to be aware of this. Best to take when having a meal.

• Like Like x 1
    #5 Art Of Flowers, Apr 26, 2017 at 5:11 PM
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  6. Juicetin

Juicetin Prediabetes · Well-Known Member

ALA doesn't reduce everyone's blood sugar, it has had no affect on mine.
    You will get more benefit from taking pure R-ALA, the naturally occurring kind. Its a lot more expensive but you don't need 600mg a day as its so much more effective and bioavailable than the cheaper mix variety.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ickihun

ickihun Type 2 · Master

That's right @Juicetin . R-ala doesn't reduce bgs but it reduces your insulin resistance. I reduced my insulin inj units by a third when I used it.
    It got rid of my numb baby toes (underneath). I used 80% r-ala. It was expensive but worth every penny.
    I will be restarting it again if my insulin resistance doesn't settle down on a new insulin regime. I'll give it 6 mths to settle in first thou so I can evaluate its full impact.

• Like Like x 1
  8. not-so-lucky

Thanks for the input guys, I'll take a look into it and report back on Progress - thanks for the support :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Christine McMillan

Christine McMillan Type 2 · Well-Known Member

You also mentioned cold hands and feet. I have Raynaulds Syndrome from as long as I can remember. I sleep with socks on a great part of the year - I just vary how thick the socks are. I'd wear fingerless gloves if my hands were too cold in the day - but as I'm not working I can also just put on extra layers instead. And thermals. I also get cold ears and wear ear muffs a lot more than many people would. Fortunately so far it hasn't deteriorated since I was diagnosed as a T2 (diet controlled) 11 years ago.

• Like Like x 1
  10. smag3

smag3 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I used to get that tingling a lot. Not had it since I went low carb, in fact I had forgotten all about it!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook