Tinned fruit in juice

Tattyjacket

Hi,
Just finished reading the pamphlet, "Staying at home and managing diabetes." In it, it mentions tinned fruit in juice. I'll be honest, I've always avoided tinned fruit as I believe that most of it is in sugary syrup. However, tinned fruit in juice hmmmm any advice on brands?

Phil

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last edited:
Reactions: mike@work

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm another that says to avoid at all costs. If you really want to consider them make sure you have a meter and test before eating any fruit and 2 hours later- see what it does to your blood sugar levels.

There is some fruit I really like but have resigned myself to never eating it again. Nature's candy is one description.

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Are you type 2? What medication if any are you on?
Many T2s manage diabetes, or even get into remission by not just avoiding straight sugars but also limiting carbs, as they are converted to sugar in our bodies. This means we avoid most fruit.
Personally I only eat, in small quantities, berries especially raspberries and rhubarb.
Fruit juice is just concentrated carbs in a form that our bodies absorb very quickly.

Geordie_P

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was a bit concerned as to what this pamphlet might be, so I did a quick google, and yes, it's from Diabetes UK. The advice genuinely looks very bad.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/managing-your-diabetes/staying-home
Almost cartoonishly bad, in fact.
I'm having trouble believing some of this

"if all you can find is fruit in syrup you can simply drain and rinse this before use. They will still count towards your five-a-day. "

So they're telling me to drain a tin of Del monte pineapple, then follow it up with some tinned peaches and maybe a couple of bananas to make sure I get 5-a-day? Utter stupidity.

Reactions: Dr Snoddy
M

Member496333

If you really want to consider them make sure you have a meter and test before eating any fruit and 2 hours later- see what it does to your blood sugar levels.

But also keep in mind that the real issue with fruit and fruit juices isn't just the glucose, it's the fructose. Fructose is the silent killer because it doesn't measurably raise blood glucose but does directly contribute to increasing insulin resistance. Not such an issue for autoimmune diabetes, but honestly not exactly optimal for anyone who cares about their metabolic status.

Anyone advising diabetics to eat plenty of fruit and whole grains, should be injected with diabetes and made to try their own advice on themselves. See how they like the taste of them apples :hungover:

M

Member496333

So they're telling me to drain a tin of Del monte pineapple, then follow it up with some tinned peaches and maybe a couple of bananas to make sure I get 5-a-day? Utter stupidity.

They're a disaster. It beggars belief that this organisation is still the [alleged] premier source of diabetes help in the UK. They should be prosecuted for something. The limb count must be gigantic :meh:

Totally inept. You'd be better off asking next door's dog for dietary advice :banghead:

Reactions: TinksMum

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not such an issue for autoimmune diabetes, but honestly not exactly optimal for anyone who cares about their metabolic status.

Well, maybe so, but one have to put in a LOT of insulin, to keep BGLs down after canned fruit - be it in sugary syrup or not...

Anyone advising diabetics to eat plenty of fruit and whole grains, should be injected with diabetes and made to try their own advice on themselves. See how they like the taste of them apples :hungover:

...so, I agree, with all my heart :arghh:

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm having trouble believing some of this

"if all you can find is fruit in syrup you can simply drain and rinse this before use. They will still count towards your five-a-day. "

And that's surely 7 days a week, also...;)

Tattyjacket

The information was on a pamphlet that came through my door the other day. It came from Diabetes UK.
The pamphlet is entitled "Staying at home and managing diabetes."

Phil.....avoiding tinned fruit as always.

mike@work

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The information was on a pamphlet that came through my door the other day. It came from Diabetes UK.
The pamphlet is entitled "Staying at home and managing diabetes."

Phil.....avoiding tinned fruit as always.

And changed support forum on the run...? ;)