Tips for a newbie?

Lola13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Hey everyone, I'm 23 and was diagnosed with type 1 a couple weeks ago after being hospitalised with dka. I'm in my last year of law school and am used to partying, studying all hours, not sleeping and exercising hard. This diagnosis has pretty much turned my whole life upside down. Anyone got any good coping strategies for a serious battler?? Also willing to listen if anyone is struggling emotionally too or just needs an ear in general :)

Reactions: himtoo

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Welcome to the forum @Lola13

You can do all the above that you've mentioned but it will take some time to adjust to life with type 1, so for now I would just take one day at a time and keep in close contact with your diabetes team who will hopefully keep you on the right track.

btw, some of the type 1 members here meet-up in London every so often for a drink and a chat, if you feel up to it (and your UK based) it might be a good idea to go along and join in for some support and advice. Tagging @Type1Bri for more info on the group meets. Good luck.

Reactions: himtoo and Philb69

Scarlett91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm a newbie too. I was diagnosed last Monday at 26 years old.
I feel like a right old person, how do you juggle partying studing exercising and now sleep?! Haha
Xox

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
hey @Lola13
welcome to the forum !! :)
everything you mention can be done -- it just takes a bit more planning.

starting out will turn your whole life upside down -- and taking things slow , being kind to yourself , and remembering that none of us gets it totally right 100% of the time are some good starting points.

there are lots of great topics on the forum regarding exercise -- check them out.

as for partying and not sleeping -- I have done my fair share over the years
you just need to keep an extra "sense" about you that non D's don't.

hope you keep posting -- glad you found us !!!!

Reactions: Ixarix