Tips for early morning work starts

PeteN11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I.e at this stage I wouldn’t know if I should take a single jelly bean if I’m hovering around the 4.5 mark.
As I said just give it a test, probably best when not having to drive that day. Wake up & test. Eat the fruit gum of choice and then test every 15 mins to see how you react. You may need to eat 2 to see any difference or if lucky even 3:). You shouldn't need to counteract any increase with insulin as they are very short acting carbs.

Reactions: Day0_NZ

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just going to be a tad picky but there is no offence of driving with a reading under 4. If other offences such a careless driving or an accident happens and under 4 or a Hypo is in evidence then that can be seen as a contributing factor.

The regulations set down by DVLA do not constitute offences in themselves but evidence of abuse of the regs can be enough to have your licence withheld followed by the nightmare of attempting to get it back.

Hi,

That DIAB1 form we fill out every 3 years & send back to the DVLA. We sign a contract as terms of our license entitlement.
Fitness to drive regarding the use of BG lowering drugs that can potentially affect the cognitive state if ignored or unfelt & monitoring whilst in control of a motor vehicle to make sure this potentially does not happen.. Safety of other road users.

Eyesight is the other factor too.. That's a whole new "ball game" once you are obliged to declare any laser or anti-VEGF treatment..

Never put it to the test myself. i'll stick my neck out & say it's closer to "driving under the influence.?"

Day0_NZ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks.
The dog had a good run.. 18 years. (No cure for old age.)

I do mine at 10/11. I can get lows around 2/3am or 5 if they sometimes both if they happen? A wake on a perfect score in the melle. Clocking off or dipping a toe into "overtime?" I can start dropping again.
Lantus is touted as working for 24hs. The reality is it can tail off @20/22??
Now oddly, I front a band. On a gig day for night I will fast from 12/1pm? The show starts 9pm I can go on till midnight then pack up time? (Note I'm aprox 2 hours late with the basal?) I can still hover around the late 4s even dipping into hypo teritory.
I normally eat after a show, like the hungry intensity of "singing for supper."

If your budget allows to use a CGM set up.? (Always back up to check calibration with a meter.) You may find this benificial not only regarding work balance, but lifestyle too..?
I keep an at a glance BG readout (updated every 5 minutes.) on the "A pillar" of my van. Nicknamed the "blood nav."

A CGM is definitely something I would like to try but it’s expensive and not funded where I am. I’ve decided I will try and get the manual stuff down so if in the future I switch and the CGM plays up I’ll know I’ll be ok!

PeteN11

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i'll stick my neck out & say it's closer to "driving under the influence.?"
No neck to stick out as it is already illegal in England, Scotland and Wales to drive with legal drugs in your body if it impairs your driving. However just having a one off Hypo would not be enough to prove the offence and realistically some form of recklessness or intent would be needed.
Also the practicalities of proving this in relation to too much Insulin would be very difficult indeed. As a roadside drug swab does not detect insulin the Police would have to carry out a US style Field Sobriety Test. If you fail that then it is off down the nick for a Blood/Urine test. Although by then you are probably already in the back of an Ambulance if the Hypo hasn't been treated.:eek:

I haven't been able to find one case in the UK although there have been cases in the US where certain breath test machines have shown positive for alcohol in Diabetics experiencing a HYPER due to increased Acetone levels in the breath.

The effects of a Hypo can be used as a defense in other crimes where "intent" has to proven such as Murder although Manslaughter is always there to ruin the perfect "get out of jail" excuse.:D