Type 2 Tired after eating

BtonLee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello all
I was diagnosed on the 29th of december which came as a huge shock. After speaking to my doctor at the time I am now on a LCHF diet and doing quite well my BS levels are down to an average of around 5.8 throughout the day and mornings are about 5.9 I still do get spikes as I am trying things food wise to see if they are ok found out porridge is a complete no no, in 5 weeks i have lost a stone in weight which is good.

My question sometimes not always after a meal I seem to pass out and sleep sometimes for 30 mins sometimes for a couple of hours which I am finding a bit concerning to be honest and i was wondering if anyone else experiences this or nows what i can do to combat it?

Lee

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm sorry, but I have no idea why.

I've found eating Low Carb has given me more energy, I guess it could be that you are not drinking enough, or maybe lacking Salt as LC often involves less salt in your diet.

Other than that, it is probably some other deficiency caused by the diet.

BtonLee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am drinking around 3-4lt of water a day, it may be the slt thing i have never really added salt to my meals so i might need to up the salt content then and see how that goes.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's the Tiredness straight after eating that is confusing. I was feeling tired during the day in the weeks after starting LC eating, but never right after a meal. By adding more Salt and making sure I drank enough the tiredness soon went away.

I can't think of any other reasons.

sprogno8

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hello all
I was diagnosed on the 29th of december which came as a huge shock. After speaking to my doctor at the time I am now on a LCHF diet and doing quite well my BS levels are down to an average of around 5.8 throughout the day and mornings are about 5.9 I still do get spikes as I am trying things food wise to see if they are ok found out porridge is a complete no no, in 5 weeks i have lost a stone in weight which is good.

My question sometimes not always after a meal I seem to pass out and sleep sometimes for 30 mins sometimes for a couple of hours which I am finding a bit concerning to be honest and i was wondering if anyone else experiences this or nows what i can do to combat it?

Lee

Have you tested your BM shortly after eating, you may be eating the wrong things ? Try looking at the cookery books on the diabetes web site. Also blood goes direct to our stomach following eating to aid digestion so maybe that is why you sleep. Personally I would say it's probably dietary unless you are bored. Actually if you are not overeating during the day Porridge is good without sugar of course because it is a slow acting carbohydrate. However like all diabetics you need to list what is good for you. Good Luck it's not as daunting as it feels to be diabetic honestly

BtonLee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Have you tested your BM shortly after eating, you may be eating the wrong things ? Try looking at the cookery books on the diabetes web site. Also blood goes direct to our stomach following eating to aid digestion so maybe that is why you sleep. Personally I would say it's probably dietary unless you are bored. Actually if you are not overeating during the day Porridge is good without sugar of course because it is a slow acting carbohydrate. However like all diabetics you need to list what is good for you. Good Luck it's not as daunting as it feels to be diabetic honestly

HI yes i test after every meal atm as i am still trying to figure out what is best which is how i found out porridge was a no go spiked me to 16.1. i eat around about 8-900 calories a day.

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Going LC can give you 'the low carb flu' for up to two weeks but usually less. Try adding sea salt to your meals or a little in your water until you balance. I would get very sleepy after eating carbs.
The easiest way to describe LC is above ground veg, small to moderate amounts of protein and healthy fats such as EVOO, avocado, olives and nuts. Some do OK with dairy and others do not ( I am in the do not camp). Not much more to it other than some good herbs and spices. It is actually very simple to just walk around the outside isles of the grocery store. For me it is easier to describe what I do eat than the huge list of things I don't eat. I simply say any green veg, any animal / fish protein and some oils. I snack on nuts or olives . Lots of salads topped with protein and EVOO. Once you find a routine meal plan it gets easier. Many of us eat the same things over and over during the day and then mix up dinners. Lots less thinking and planning.

Reactions: 2 people