Tiredness and IBS

canadagoose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,
I've had chronic tiredness for a good while now - certainly since I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes - and my IBS appeared not long after. The thing is, both are becoming a real problem, and because of those and the nausea I get from my venlafaxine, I struggle to make it through a week at work. I constantly feel worn out, and in spite of how much I sleep I struggle to get out of bed in the morning. The IBS tends to deprive me of sleep and working hours, too, and last night it was just horrible, in spite of using my buscopan (which usually works!) and I ended up having to go to hospital because there was blood in my stool. They didn't find anything conclusive, though, just probable straining.

But anyway, I'm just fed up of being constantly ill and was wondering how on earth it could improve? My HbA1C could be a bit better, but even when it was better, I was still really tired and had IBS episodes, so it feels like I'm never going to escape it!

Sorry if this seems like a pointless ramble, I haven't slept much lately and I'm just a bit frustrated :crazy:

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi canadagoose,
i was the other way round i got diagnised ibs then diabetes, i am type 1 also. For my ibs i have a low residue diet and am low carbing. I have peppermint capsules to stop my cramps and settle my stomach and hardly need to take them now. I was on buscopan at first and i found they made me feel worse.

hope that helped :)

canadagoose

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
victoria84 said:
hi canadagoose,
i was the other way round i got diagnised ibs then diabetes, i am type 1 also. For my ibs i have a low residue diet and am low carbing. I have peppermint capsules to stop my cramps and settle my stomach and hardly need to take them now. I was on buscopan at first and i found they made me feel worse.

hope that helped :)
Hi Victoria,
thanks - I'd never heard of using peppermint capsules for IBS before, but peppermint tea sometimes helps so it could well work. I'll look some out and see what happens. :)

victoria84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
me either but after being given buscopan, then mebeverine ( both of which made me worse) my Doctor tried me on this. I think its great and i hope it has the same effect for you too.

I get them prescribed but i know health food shops supply them.
I have heard some people complain of heart burn but i dont get that from them. Just thought i would make you aware of that.

Good luck :)

BIGXXH

Hi

I also suffer with tiredness and ibs my tiredness seems to come on in the afternoon at about 4 oclock, i also have to go to bed at about 10-30 where it used to be at least 12.00 for the ibs i take mebravine it seems ok as long as i take them for only short periods about 4 days max then i will be ok for about four weeks then it starts again with the pains in the abdomen and very quick exits to the loo, never had it before i had diabetes by the way i am type one for about five years and to be honest i have never felt so rough in my life as i have for the past five years with regard to the above problems .

sheepareevil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who are not polite/ have no manners
I was diagnosed with IBS 10 years ago and tried every drug available. I found all of them actually made my IBS worse and settled on diet and mapping life out by toilets. :D (My family thinks I should write a good toilet guide).

Since being diagnosed as type 1 earlier this year my IBS has been less controlled and I wonder if it is actually meaning that I am more prone to hypo's. Due to faster than normal digestion?

When I have bad stomach cramps I usually go for hot water bottles - even take one to work.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't have Type 1, but was just wondering if your IBS was IBS-D or IBS-C? I too knew where every loo was in every town I went to until I cut wheat out of my diet, now I am fine.

If you have the runs all the time, then your body doesn't have enough time to absorb all the vitamins and minerals in your diet and you can get anaemic which can cause tiredness.