to banana or not to banana

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
Rasberrys and fresh fig where a lot lower and after 5 hours my bg was about the lowest I have yet tested

mpe

pav said:
Bananas are a funny one, as for some people they are off the eating list as it sends their blood sugar levels high, for me they are ok.

Many people have found such "funny" foods.

Its a question of finding out what's ok for you and what's not which is where a meter comes in very handy.

More like essential.. Without the ability to monitor it would be impossible to identify which foods might cause problems.

mpe

whompa73 said:
As fr carbs I was thinking arround 90 to 130 I think thats low isnt it?

It depends what you are comparing against. In comparison to the GDA figures it's "low". But would still be "high" in comparison to protein.
It might help to call the GDAs (>200) "ultra hight". Then you'd have "very high" (120-200); "high" (80-120); "medium" (40-80) and "low" (<40).

mpe

pav said:
The white bread is a problem as for most of us it causes a rapid spike in the BS. I eat wholemeal bread as its less spikey, some prefer Burgan bread, though I have tried it and I am not keen on it others love it.

You do need to test though. The "wholemeal" is better than "white" dosn't hold for everyone. It may even matter where you get your bread. That is the issue with any highly processed product...

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
mpe said:
pav said:
The white bread is a problem as for most of us it causes a rapid spike in the BS. I eat wholemeal bread as its less spikey, some prefer Burgan bread, though I have tried it and I am not keen on it others love it.

You do need to test though. The "wholemeal" is better than "white" dosn't hold for everyone. It may even matter where you get your bread. That is the issue with any highly processed product...

Love brown /wholemeal berad especially seeded only eaten white bread when no other choice for the last 5 years (ok maybe the odd crusty or tiger roll :shh: ) but ingeneral much prefer the taste of brown.

sw11bloke

Bananas are fine. Just take insulin to cover the banana. A small banana is 15grams of carbohydrate and a large banana is 30grams. If you know your insulin to carbohydrate ratio, then just inject.
Perhaps you should download carbs and cals if you have an iphone? It will help you with carbohydrate values in all foods and drinks. Have you heard about DAFNE? Try get on a DAFNE course through your diabetes team.

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
sw11bloke said:
Bananas are fine. Just take insulin to cover the banana. A small banana is 15grams of carbohydrate and a large banana is 30grams. If you know your insulin to carbohydrate ratio, then just inject.
Perhaps you should download carbs and cals if you have an iphone? It will help you with carbohydrate values in all foods and drinks. Have you heard about DAFNE? Try get on a DAFNE course through your diabetes team.

I am newly diagnosed type 2 on metformin not insulin. Am trying to controll without going on to more serious medication but verry steep learning curve have orderd dr burnstien diabetes solutions book and 2 carb counter books hope fully they will give me some insperation as at mo mainly eating mushrooms eggs bacon chicken meat or any combination of them. Oh and suggarfree jelly. & Nuts for snacks. But I will get there

zaphod37

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Prejudice and bullying
I love bananas and haven't had one since diagnosis as I though they would cause a huge spike. However, since reading this thread I decided to try one today. Before eating my wee banana my meter showed a reading of 6.0, 2 hours after my banana it showed a reading of 6.1. This took me by surprise but it could be a fluke reading so I am going to do it again tomorrow.

Mark

mpe

whompa73 said:
2. Should I eat on own or with somthing like bite size shreded wheet (which also has some carbs in it but very low in if not no sugar ) with almond milk

ALL breakfast cereals are high GI and high glucose. Those with added sugar tend to slightly lower in GI.
When looking at the label "total carbohydrates" is more important than "sugars". Especially with anything which claims to be "low sugar".
You'd actually be better off eating a piece of chocolate or (even) a lump of sugar. From both GI and "low carb" POV.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
mpe said:
ALL breakfast cereals are high GI and high glucose. Those with added sugar tend to slightly lower in GI.

All-Bran, Traditional Porridge Oats and Natural Muesli are all low on the Glycemic index.

This discussion made me crave a banana for the first time in nearly 3 years of low carb eating! Still laughing at 'avoid fyffe a day!' My Hba1C is never above 40 and don't want it to. Own a cafe bistro bookshop so very hard to resist a wee morsel of coffee cake! If I really wanted Banana at breakfast I would have it with 25g dry oats and some yogurt or double cream and seeds or nuts to slow down the glucose release. But it is a risky one for me. My BG would shoot up I know it. I aim for 6.6. (Old measure) on my meter two hours after eating. This keeps me around 40. (Sorry must look up equivalents). Hardly use my meter now unless I want to check put the effect of something different....like bananas!
I AM GOING BANANAS!

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
ReadinglassesGer said:
This discussion made me crave a banana for the first time in nearly 3 years of low carb eating! Still laughing at 'avoid fyffe a day!' My Hba1C is never above 40 and don't want it to. Own a cafe bistro bookshop so very hard to resist a wee morsel of coffee cake! If I really wanted Banana at breakfast I would have it with 25g dry oats and some yogurt or double cream and seeds or nuts to slow down the glucose release. But it is a risky one for me. My BG would shoot up I know it. I aim for 6.6. (Old measure) on my meter two hours after eating. This keeps me around 40. (Sorry must look up equivalents). Hardly use my meter now unless I want to check put the effect of something different....like bananas!
I AM GOING BANANAS!

Had a banana yesterday after swimming it wasnt as bad as it has been before dont know if it was because of the exercise?

Also dont suppose you bookshop bistro is in hastings?

Hello Whompa and others. Have managed not to eat bananas since the posting with difficulty.. My gran used to give me nana, milk and sugar for my school lunch.....hmmmm. Ps No sorry we are in Wigtown, Scotland's national Booktown!

hornplayer

I used to love bananas.

Mashed banana with milk, banana sandwiches, banana custard.

I don't know why, but I've kinda developed an allergy to them over the past six years or so. :( it started with the feeling that they were making my insides itch, all the way down, when I swallowed them. I've had maybe one a year since it started, hoping it would go away, but it's got worse each time. The last one, - one bite and my tongue went numb, my throat swelled up and I had trouble breathing. Don't think I'll be trying it again! :(

pineapple causes the same problem, so couldn't eat that - even before I couldn't eat it. - If you know what I mean?

Oh, and for some reason, those were the very things my DN recommended as snacks for me. - Good to know they read your file isn't it!

- and on what planet are bananas and pineapple low carb anyway????

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

whompa73

Dislikes
Chavs
hornplayer said:
I used to love bananas.

Mashed banana with milk, banana sandwiches, banana custard.

I don't know why, but I've kinda developed an allergy to them over the past six years or so. :( it started with the feeling that they were making my insides itch, all the way down, when I swallowed them. I've had maybe one a year since it started, hoping it would go away, but it's got worse each time. The last one, - one bite and my tongue went numb, my throat swelled up and I had trouble breathing. Don't think I'll be trying it again! :(

pineapple causes the same problem, so couldn't eat that - even before I couldn't eat it. - If you know what I mean?

Oh, and for some reason, those were the very things my DN recommended as snacks for me. - Good to know they read your file isn't it!

- and on what planet are bananas and pineapple low carb anyway????

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

They make the back of my throat and the insides of my ears itch (no im not putting them in my ears) I hayfever dose especially when they are very ripe which is my favourite way of eating them as they have a slight pairdrop taste. But just cant help myself

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
whompa
The only right thing to do is to keep your blood glucose down at or near normal levels, by whichever way suits you best. The NHS advice requires you to use a significant amount of medication and allows for quit wide swings of level throughout the day.
Those of us who prefer to keep our consumption of medications down, find that a low carb diet keeps blood glucose down, without being caught up in drug side effects. It also keeps the levels stable.
I watched a movie on Tv the other day called "First do no harm" You may recognise the quote from the hippocratic oath.
It's about a family with an epileptic child who was having up to a hundred seizures a day and his parents' struggle to get him on to the Johns Hopkins University's Ketogenic diet. It's based on a true story and show quite clearly how the conventional medical establishment reacts to anything new [especially if it works better than what they have currently]
A number of members of the cast were people who had been cured of epilepsy by the diet in childhood.
As far as I can find, no-one has been damaged by this diet, even though some don't keep it up.
Hana

K

Kat100

I eat bananas they keep me going about 3 times a week is about right for me though...loving raspberries at the moment....apples for the autum either baked or in a crumble Kat