To lentil or not to lentil pt2

_markwilburn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Carrying on from my post a few days ago.
I made a sort of lentil stew with chorizo bacon peppers onion garlic spinach and obviously lentils. Blood sugar test immediately before was 5.1 I've just retested after 1hr exactly and the result was 5.5 More tests needed but I'm really happy with the results. The meal was actually really tasty too.
20180218_134918.jpg

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
Carrying on from my post a few days ago.
I made a sort of lentil stew with chorizo bacon peppers onion garlic spinach and obviously lentils. Blood sugar test immediately before was 5.1 I've just retested after 1hr exactly and the result was 5.5 More tests needed but I'm really happy with the results. The meal was actually really tasty too.View attachment 25307
I love lentils, and keep saying to myself that I will have to try them and test later. Your pic looks lovely absolutely my kind of meal.

Reactions: _markwilburn

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are experimenting with lentils, then I would suggest including Puy Lentils in your tests. I find I can eat those without too much of a rise in BG as long as the portion is not too large.

_markwilburn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you are experimenting with lentils, then I would suggest including Puy Lentils in your tests. I find I can eat those without too much of a rise in BG as long as the portion is not too large.
I used red lentils in this recipe and kept the serving small but enough to make me feel full.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I used red lentils in this recipe and kept the serving small but enough to make me feel full.

Mark - I'm not trying to rain on your BBQ, but did you test beyond 2 hours at all? Next time you have this, test as usual, the then test again 30 minutes later, and then if that is higher, test again after 15-30 minutes, until the numbers are coming down.

Hopefully it'll be fine as it is, but chorizo has very high levels of fat that can delay any rise.

(I love chorizo.)

Hampshire_Lad

Can I ask please how and for how long you cook your lentils?

I tried cooking red lentils the other day and boiled them for 20 minutes - sadly they tasted like cardboatd and were quite inedible in my lamb stew

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I tested 2hrs after and was back to 5.2 Thanks for the concern though.

Sorry if I didn't wasn't clear, but I meant 2 + 30 minutes. You could just have been rising, as opposed to coming back down again.

Your concoction looks lovely though.

_markwilburn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Can I ask please how and for how long you cook your lentils?

I tried cooking red lentils the other day and boiled them for 20 minutes - sadly they tasted like cardboatd and were quite inedible in my lamb stew
I cooked the chorizo first then took it out and places it to one side. I then added the onions peppers garlic a little drop of olive oil and all the herbs. Cooked that for about 10 minutes or so then added the lentils and stirred them around the pan then I added vegetable stock covered and simmered for 15 minutes then added the spinach and cooked for another 5 minutes.

MaxineKL

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Sounds yum. My husband is allergic to "true" (red and green/briwn) lentils, so I substitute urad dal, moong dal, or channa dal, depending on the other ingredients.