Type 2 To stop doing bs readings

gail87

Message left in machine from doctor to stop doing readings I’m type 2 diagnosed last June . Have lost over 2 stone and cut medication to one metaformin tablet twice a day. Lot of hard work to get me to this point but doing my readings keeps in me on top of it. What’s your views?

MaviesDavies2

I would want to keep on testing. Those with longer journeys than me talk about carb-creep and how this can slowly make your BGs go up in a stealth-like fashion!

If testing has worked for you to gain and retain control, why stop it now?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Message left in machine from doctor to stop doing readings I’m type 2 diagnosed last June . Have lost over 2 stone and cut medication to one metaformin tablet twice a day. Lot of hard work to get me to this point but doing my readings keeps in me on top of it. What’s your views?

Is the doctor providing you with test strips?

If no.. the doc can do one and you carry on testing whenever and as often as you like.

If yes then find a meter with cheap strips and carry on testing whenever and as often as you like

D

Deleted member 543160

I totally agree with @bulkbiker.

I've always paid my own way with test strips, as I like to see how issues other than diet might also affect my glucose levels (health, stress, etc). My GP has been perfectly happy for me to test, but told me early on that he wasn't allowed to prescribe the strips for me. :banghead:

@Rachox has information on meters and cheap test strips.

Reactions: Annb and Daphne917

jape

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I cannot manage my diabetes without testing for my BG levels.

pixie1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
well done on your efforts Carry on testing, it is the best way forward. Not testing, carbs start to creep in
bM's s start to rise. I was told not to test, they would not give me monitoring equipment and have to eat carbs with every meal.
Consequently. I havnt seen my diabetic nurses since my initial diagnosis, 8 years ago. Recently I have fallen off the wagon and my fasting tests have risen, Now i'm getting back on to the straight and narrow, starting to feel better. Good luck

Reactions: Oldvatr

gail87

That’s what worries me have done everything in my power to get where I am . Good luck getting back on track you have done it before

Reactions: pixie1

Outlier

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would definitely keep testing, whatever Gp/DN/others said. Knowledge is power.

Annb

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Did your doctor explain why you should stop? Can you explain to him/her that it is testing that has helped you get to where you are and to maintain your position, you need to keep on testing? I assume your testing strips are provided by prescription so if you can't get the recommendation changed, can you find a reasonably priced alternative? It is important to keep an eye on what is happening, even if it is all good.

Lainie71

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term "big boned" lol repeatedly told this growing up!
I cannot manage my diabetes without testing for my BG levels.
I am exactly the same, it terrifies me the thought of not knowing where I am am with my readings :nailbiting: