To those on Lantus

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I have recently been put on to Lantus as part of my attempt to achieve control of my diabetes!!

What I would like to know (and I do understand that it is different for everyone) is what dose are you on. I am increasing my dose every 3/4 days and decreasing my gliclazide.

Many thanks. :roll: 8)

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi Jude,

You're right, there will be a huge variation in Lantus doses between different people depending on age, gender, activity, diet and insulin resistance. I used to use 22 units per day back in the starchy carb days but now it's 4 at night and 4 in the morning.
The other thing worth mentioning is that Lantus rarely works for 24 hours and so many people find better control by splitting the dose.
Good luck with it - it should be much better that gliclazide, that's for sure.

fergus

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya jude,
ditto what fergus says,but im on 15u lantus daily :D

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Lantus and Gliclazide seems an odd combination. Lantus is insulin and Gliclazide forces your pancreas to increase the insulin production.
How many carbs per day are you using to feed all this insulin? Did you try reducing carbs to get control, of the condition?

jopar

The purpose of lantus is to cover you basal levels which is the glucose being delivered by the liver.

Gliclazide is encouraging the pancreas to produce more insulin, as the prancreas is still working + a couple of properties that aid the body's resisendence to insulin... So it similar to injecting quick inculin to cover carb intake.... Hence a T2 using gliclazide can have a hypo

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your responses.

I am on Metformin and Gliclazide and I wanted to come off the Gliclazide because of extra weight gain. I went to see a Diabetes Nurse because I wanted to go on to Byetta. However she said that I could not go on Byetta because of my chronic IBS and she suggested that I went on to Lantus. So I have been decreasing the Gliclazide whilst increasing the Lantus. :roll:

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
To Fergus - I would be interested in knowing how low in carbs your diet is. If I were to cut out or down on my carbs I do not know what I would put in its place - because of my IBS vegetables and fruit are not good and neither are other high fiber foods.

:roll:

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi jude,

I eat around 30g of carbohydrates most days. The carbs I eat come entirely from vegetables and my own homemade low carb bread (on sale soon I hope!).
I know nothing about IBS so I'm not sure if this is helpful?

fergus

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Fergus

To give you an idea I have porridge (with water) for breakfast, meat sandwich or boiled egg and slice of bread at lunchtime and a "normal" evening meal - meat, potato and few vegs. Carbs are quite important in trying to keep the IBS stable. I assume that your diet is also quite low in calories?
The big difficulty that I have is that diabetes is/potentially very serious but it is the IBS which badly curtails my life. I havent yet found anyone who can give me any real help. Having suffered with IBS for 35 years it has fairly ruled my life unfortunately.

30g of carbs is nothing!?? - What ingredients do you use for your low carb bread? :roll:

PaulT

Im on 60 night 60 morning blood sugar is about 6-7 most of the day (with humalog quick acting). The only thing is is it hurts like hell going in!!!

derailleurs

Dislikes
Piccalilly!!
Hi Jude

Have any health professionals ever mentioned to you that diabetes can also contribute to, or even cause, IBS like symptoms?

If your blood glucose levels vary a lot, your system will struggle to digest food. That can cause diahorrea/indigestion/wind/pain etc, just like IBS does.
For example, if your blood sugar levels are high after you have eaten, the food you have consumed will not be digested as quiclky as it should and will therefore develop gas in your gut and make you feel bloated and uncomfortable.

Problems with your digestion can also be a complication of diabetes, but then also, keeping blood sugar levels stable will minimise the symptoms. This is a complication that is not, in my experience, mentioned by diabetes nurses/doctors, but it does exist.

Have you tried replacing the bread you eat with something else, such as potato or rice? Bread seems to often be a no-no if you suffer from IBS. I have a very sensitive stomach and I use probiotic products to keep things under control. I know there isn't enough scientific evidence and it may be placebo but they do work for me. I find natural yogurt is great also.

iHs

PaulT said:
Im on 60 night 60 morning blood sugar is about 6-7 most of the day (with humalog quick acting). The only thing is is it hurts like hell going in!!!

Inject the Lantus into the side of your bum :wink: . It wont sting so much. Also if you are able, push the plunger on the insulin pen down slowly, this will help too.

iHs

derailleurs said:
Hi Jude

Have any health professionals ever mentioned to you that diabetes can also contribute to, or even cause, IBS like symptoms?

If your blood glucose levels vary a lot, your system will struggle to digest food. That can cause diahorrea/indigestion/wind/pain etc, just like IBS does.
For example, if your blood sugar levels are high after you have eaten, the food you have consumed will not be digested as quiclky as it should and will therefore develop gas in your gut and make you feel bloated and uncomfortable.

Problems with your digestion can also be a complication of diabetes, but then also, keeping blood sugar levels stable will minimise the symptoms. This is a complication that is not, in my experience, mentioned by diabetes nurses/doctors, but it does exist.

Have you tried replacing the bread you eat with something else, such as potato or rice? Bread seems to often be a no-no if you suffer from IBS. I have a very sensitive stomach and I use probiotic products to keep things under control. I know there isn't enough scientific evidence and it may be placebo but they do work for me. I find natural yogurt is great also.

Speaking of live yoghurt, Kefir is really good. Looks like small pieces of spongy cauliflower but when milk is poured over it, it becomes an excellent live bacteria health drink. For constipation drink within 12 hours, but for diahorrea drink after 24 hours. There are a few messages on the forum regarding Kefir so just type it into the search box on forum page.

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
As far as the IBS goes I have had it for 35+ years and some 4 years ago I came across a website dealing with ibs and I have made several changes - one being to add soluble fiber into my diet by way of a supplement. I also take acidopholus daily. It is very interesting that some of you think there is a link between the IBS and Diabetes. I was diagnosed 3 years ago and I think I had probably had it for about a year at that time so that would tie up with 4 years ago when my IBS went very chaotic and that was when I searched the net in desperation. By the way, I did the cut out wheat thing some years ago and it made no difference - in fact I was worse!!

Someone said that if my sugars are high my food would digest slower - my sugars have been high but my IBS is that everything goes straight through me!!

Anyway, I will be very interested to see how I go on once I get some stability (it feels like that will never happen at the moment!)

Very grateful thanks to everyones comments. :roll:

derailleurs

Dislikes
Piccalilly!!
Hi Jude

Have you ever kept a food diary? If not, maybe it would be a good idea to do that for a few weeks.
When I saw my diabetes nurse about the stomach problems I was having, she pointed out that often it is only the following day that problems occur when we have eaten something that our systems don't like. With a food diary, it can be easier to recognise the patterns.

You should write down what you have eaten, together with your blood sugar levels, medication and any reactions/trips to the toilet etc. A bit of a nuisance but can be very helpful.

There is no doubt that blod sugar levels bouncing up and down can cause problems with your digestion, but once you find the foods that are good for you, it will be easier to maintain a good control.

I know how depressing it can be - I suffered from a lot of IBS like symptoms (and I still don't know if it is IBS or diabetes or both) and I am very careful with what I eat but it's improved a lot with a better control of diabetes.

All the best,

Jude

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
PaulT

Are you type 1 or 2? I started on the Lantus 4 weeks ago and am putting the dose up every 3 days and as of today will be on 35units taken at bedtime. I have finished the Gliclazide since Sunday last and even with this amount of insulin I am still not getting lower numbers. Unfortunately the vicious circle which I am in also leaves me very depressed and I am wondering whether I should go on one of those liquid diets (always been against these)??

All information gladly received as I am very much on my own. :roll:

Carol11

I'm on Lantus as well, 13 iu in the evening. I'm on NovoRapid at meals time as well. I haven't had any problems with it -yet-touch wood. For me it lasts the 24 hours and no stinging.

There has just been a report published in the last week about a link with celiac diasease and type 1 about common genetic facrors to both.

There seem to be a lot of people on-line this evening ( Its almost noon here) What is everyone doing home on a Saturday evening. Are we all that lonely?

Merry/Happy Christmas to all, Carol