Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Well done Tom.
As long as he remembers we are not all equal. ;)

It is the best time now to be diagnosed. Have you seen how many books out now on how to reverse type2?

I wish my fight was as easy. However I still celebrate his achievements.
Excellent news. :)

Prem51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
He was interviewed on Radio 4 this morning. He said he had turned his T2 around after reading books including Dr Malhotra's and the Atkins Diet.
More importantly than his own personal achievement, he said that he would be pushing for any future Labour Government to promote healthy eating ie low carb high fat as a way to improve general public health, and lowering the increasing cost of dealing with T2 diabetes.

Last edited:

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just don't read the article in the Express.. sigh.. they seem incapable of getting anything right..

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
That's good news for him.... although what happens if he stops the keto diet? I'm guessing he is still on that. I've been reading some articles floating about from a cardiologist slamming that diet and saying it can only be a short term solution to weight loss. I guess you'd have to stay on the diet long term and see how you go.

I was diagnosed in 1998 so I agree with above comments you're probably better off if you're diagnosed these days.

Reactions: Prem51

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Seems pretty plain from the clip of him with Aseem Malhotra that he probably followed something like the Pioppi Diet?

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
That's good news for him.... although what happens if he stops the keto diet? I'm guessing he is still on that. I've been reading some articles floating about from a cardiologist slamming that diet and saying it can only be a short term solution to weight loss. I guess you'd have to stay on the diet long term and see how you go.

I was diagnosed in 1998 so I agree with above comments you're probably better off if you're diagnosed these days.
@Mep do you get your pituitary gland checked regularly? As something has changed on my blood tests?
I'm looking pregnant and high prolactin in bloods but definitely NOT pregnant. All I can find is my headaches, sweats and missed periods relates to pituitary not menopause or PCOS.

To keep post on topic I can see no chance Tom has hormones interfering with his plight to reverse. ;)

Last edited:

Mep

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
@Mep do you get your pituitary gland checked regularly? As something has changed on my blood tests?
I'm looking pregnant and high prolactin in bloods but definitely NOT pregnant. All I can find is my headaches, sweats and missed periods relates to pituitary not menopause or PCOS.

To keep post on topic I can see no chance Tom has hormones interfering with his plight to reverse. ;)

No, I don't have any issue with my pituitary gland. I did one time when medications made my prolactin level go very high that I needed a brain MRI. That was fixed though and brought my level back to normal. I've looked pregnant for years and I keep getting rude people ask when I'm due.... all thanks to my other conditions that cause excessive bloating.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
No, I don't have any issue with my pituitary gland. I did one time when medications made my prolactin level go very high that I needed a brain MRI. That was fixed though and brought my level back to normal. I've looked pregnant for years and I keep getting rude people ask when I'm due.... all thanks to my other conditions that cause excessive bloating.
Thanks @Mep. :)

Reactions: Mep

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Here is what Aunty Beeb has to say
\https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45495384

No mention of carbohydrates at all, unless I missed something.
He has also been pictured quie often with Dr Aseem Malhotra and a copy of the Pioppi diet book which is pretty low carb.

Edit to add .. dear Mark please look further down the thread before posting as @Indy51 is almost bound to have got there before you!

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

I think thats the vegan WFPB cardiologist.. not sure he is completely unbiased.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
He has also been pictured quie often with Dr Aseem Malhotra and a copy of the Pioppi diet book which is pretty low carb.

Edit to add .. dear Mark please look further down the thread before posting as @Indy51 is almost bound to have got there before you!
I am also using Pioppi myself as a low carb diet, but without taking it keto. I seem to be getting away with it so far. my monthly bgl is running at 6.5 mmol/l and my weight is static at 10 stones which is ok for me.

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You missed this bit

He cut out junk food, starchy carbohydrates and refined sugar and took up cycling and running.
Technically I stand judged, but it is not being shown as a carb cutting exercise, more like eat to meter, but yes it is not what Eatwell advises. It is not an LC diet either, Apparently it seems to be the PIOPPI diet, which I follow myself in an LC variant of Mediterranean. Surprising that he is claiming full reversal on just starch reduction and exercise. But the Med diet is one that has had some success with as T2D, and was at one time recommended by NICE.