Tomato and Libre Apps sensitivity

joodles52

Hello,

I started today with a Libre and Miaomiao and am using the Tomato and Libre app.

Tomato is telling me that I have been having hypos since about 4pm - a small rest-bite around 7pm and back into one now.

I have a diagnosis of reactive hypoglycaemia and have never recognised the symptoms - I dipped to 1.9 during the testing without many symptoms.

My question is - Tomato is reading super low and Libre started super low (unrecordable) and is now low, but not hypo, but the two apps aren’t saying the same: has anyone else any feedback as to the accuracy of tomato or Libre?

My skin prick one is just rubbish so can’t become the third umpire in this situation - I swear it is only able to give three benign results!

Many thanks,

Jude

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Libre can be quite out for the first 2 days or so mine continually reads 2 mmol low

It would be worth doing a normal blood test to confirm if this is the case for you

The reason I suggest a blood test is I had a sensor last week that was reading about 2.9. But my regular meter was showing me at 7.8. The libre was faulty

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with @searley that sometimes sensors take a couple of days to settle down properly.

Can I suggest that you get a new, more reliable prick test meter?
that way you can do a finger prick test, compare it with the Libre, and then callibrate the Libre using the Tomato App, so that you get more accurate readings.

Unfortunately, you need a reasonably accurate meter for that, and it looks like your current one might not be accurate enough?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @joodles52 ,

Welcome to the forum.

A more trust worthy meter would help, if only used for calibration.
There can also be another factor is libre lag on a low. It has been noted the meter registers the rise back from a low 10 maybe 20 minutes prior to the Libre.? (After treatment of the hypo.)
Which is why it's recomended to check any anomalies against the meter.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
When i was using the Libre I ended up having to wait 48 hours between insertion and activation as otherwise I got very low erroneous readings (mainly overnight) for those first 2 days. So I resorted to inserting my new sensor 2 days before the old one ended to allow it to settle itself down.

Peter03

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to wait 24hours but was told by an Abbott nurse not to wait and start the senser soon after insertion, she said waiting could give bad results towards the end of the senser life i.e. 14 days, so I now start it after 5 hours and do not seem to have anymore bad reading than I had before, I would never say libre was the best but it certainly helps, although I now use the miao miao xdrip and smartwatch with the libre