lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
Hi,

I've just had tomatoes and peppers in a salad and my sugar levels have gone through the roof. Is this normal?

D

Deleted Account

What else did you eat? Was there any dressing on your salad?
Did you carb count?
Did you take insulin for your meal?

Sorry for all the questions but whilst we may be told not to bother counting the carbs in vegetables, when we eat a large plate of salad, the amount of carbs may be significant.

Alternatively, the rise may have nothing to do with the tomatoes, peppers or anything that you ate.
For example, are you stressed? Are you going down with an illness? Are you confident of your last BG reading or could you have something on your fingers? Is it possible your insulin is not ok? Is it possible you pen did not deliver your insulin correctly?

Reactions: lcarter

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
What else did you eat? Was there any dressing on your salad?
Did you carb count?
Did you take insulin for your meal?

Sorry for all the questions but whilst we may be told not to bother counting the carbs in vegetables, when we eat a large plate of salad, the amount of carbs may be significant.

Alternatively, the rise may have nothing to do with the tomatoes, peppers or anything that you ate.
For example, are you stressed? Are you going down with an illness? Are you confident of your last BG reading or could you have something on your fingers? Is it possible your insulin is not ok? Is it possible you pen did not deliver your insulin correctly?
I'm on the freestyle libre...and it's really accurate. I had salad leaves, tomatoes, peppers, mayo, chorizo and egg.

I took some insulin yes. Xx

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Maybe the protein and fat content of the chorizo and egg might have increased your BG. Did you take into account the monthly hormones? Stress? The time frame of your last meal and insulin intake? What insulin do you take again? Maybe background insulin is insufficient? Maybe a finger prick test to confirm?

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know from your previous post about your current tests for diabetes - how is that going? Any updates on your insulin resistance?

Parisemo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I've just had tomatoes and peppers in a salad and my sugar levels have gone through the roof. Is this normal?
I eat salad with tomato and peppers but have never had a bad glucose reaction.

lcarter

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
My pancreas
I know from your previous post about your current tests for diabetes - how is that going? Any updates on your insulin resistance?
Hey! Thanks for asking. I didn't see the notification for this.. so apologies for my late response. They think I'm a type 2 now!